All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trying to identify...

MilkweedManiac

5 year old buck +
So I’m a total newbie here. Frost-seeded switch in February, sprayed Simizine in mid March and then Gly and 2,4-d about three weeks ago. The plant pictured has started coming up in large quantities this week and it seems to have a really deep root. I just want to make sure of what this is and am asking those who are more experienced.

Attachments

• 1A380D6D-BF5A-4409-AB3E-59DD57FE064A.jpeg
    1A380D6D-BF5A-4409-AB3E-59DD57FE064A.jpeg
    203.2 KB · Views: 51
I responded to your PM...but I wanted to post here as well. I don't think that is switch....especially switch from seed. I am not real good at grasses, so I won't venture a guess as to what it is. If it had the white rib I would swear it is johnsongrass (which you don't want either). I will get a few pics of my switch and send them. The plant you have shows just seems way to mature in nature to be fresh switch in my opinion. Switchgrass likes the heat (warm soil)...it will germinate once soil temps reach 55-60 degrees but it's slow and will grow far faster in much warmer soils. If you have switch I would suspect it to be much smaller than the plant you have in the pic. Mine was drilled so it was far easier to find in the early stages.

That helps. Yes, it's missing the white rib but definitely resembles Johnson Grass when I google it. I was just really nervous about spraying it on the off chance it might be the CIR. But you're right, it just doesn't make sense that it would come up that quickly and have that kind of root this soon. Soil temp is only high 50s right now, which could cause sprouting any time, but I don't think that kind of growth. I might still mow it once or twice just to be safe before spraying.

This year...it's all about survival. If you can get it to germinate and grow and remain alive all summer....then you are in real good shape. Once it has a root base it's pretty tough stuff. Just have to control the weeds and allow it to get the sun and water it needs.... Good luck.

That helps. Yes, it's missing the white rib but definitely resembles Johnson Grass when I google it. I was just really nervous about spraying it on the off chance it might be the CIR. But you're right, it just doesn't make sense that it would come up that quickly and have that kind of root this soon. Soil temp is only high 50s right now, which could cause sprouting any time, but I don't think that kind of growth. I might still mow it once or twice just to be safe before spraying.
That’s not switch. Do you see any little hairs where the leaf meets the stem? I don’t like your description of the roots to match but it has a Foxtail look to it. My 2nd year switch is barely a foot tall. My new switch seedlings were a half inch tall as of yesterday and there were not that many that have germinated yet.

That’s very helpful information you gave, Rit. Thank you. This afternoon Johnson and Johnson was sprayed with Gly-41 and some 2,4-d for the oncoming crop of broadleaf beginning to sprout.

I did notice a few of these sprigs (not many at all), that I did not see yesterday.

Rit, is this similar to what you have coming on? Very small root and what seems to be half of a seed case attached.

Attachments

• 506DD078-2FBB-417E-9843-3E2F3BE92316.jpeg
    506DD078-2FBB-417E-9843-3E2F3BE92316.jpeg
    451.9 KB · Views: 16