Trimming apples now

Nova

5 year old buck +
I have a honey crisp apple that has some damage and is in very poor health. The tree is about 9 years old and has never produced a single flower. The last 2 years about this same time it looked the same. Can I trim this tree back this time of year to try and help it thru winter. I was going to thin it down pretty good then put some fertilizer spikes around the drip line. Is this a bad idea to do it now? Should I wait until late winter when it's ideal to trim apples?

I am not a professional, but my opinion is, if it is damaged, and you need to trim in to prevent more damage, or so you can seal off a wound, then trim away. Other then that, and active leaves that are on the tree, will be feeding the roots to store energy for the winter and next spring. I would say leave any un damaged living branches on the tree now, then this fall, winter after the tree goes into dormancy, then trim it. Ofcourse, if it has a disease then you would want to trim it off asap!

Do not fertilize it now. Wait until spring. If you trim back healthy growth now you are going to slow growth next season.

Do not fertilize it now. Wait until spring. If you trim back healthy growth now you are going to slow growth next season.

I do fertilize them all every spring, but why not fertilize now also?

It encourages a lot of fresh growth that may just freeze in the winter. If you do decide to fertilize, use something without N in it.

TC has it nailed. That's what I read in several university books on fruit tree care. I fertilize ours in April up until mid-May ……….. no later.

If you can pour the water to it, it may help. I had a HC looking all wilted growing on a hill out in the open...during what was a bit of a drought (just got some nice rain). 20 gallons a day (10 in the morning, 10 at night) poured into a rubbermaid tub positioned at the trunk with a 1/8" hole drilled in the bottom brought it back to lively green condition in 4 days.

PS..I'm one of the few who fertilize all year. I've never seen this "fresh growth freeze damage" that I keep hearing about. Now, I am not talking about pouring straight urea on it. My chicken bedding has to be changed out about every 6 weeks. I wheelbarrow this out to the orchard and find a tree or (two to split the load) and dump under. Chicken manure on pine shavings...manure being 38% nitrogen. No yellow leaves i can say!...deep green large leaves and good growth from year to year. Everyone's mileage varies. Works for me.

I put out fertilizer spikes under my apple trees ONLY every spring. I try to get it done as soon as the ground has thawed to the point where the spikes can easily be inserted. Usually April to early May. These spikes are timed release so the fertilizer is being applied for a few months after the spike is in the ground.

I've never understood this no fertilize thing either. What if my soil naturally has high amounts of nitrogen from growing legumes on my orchard floor?

It causes trees to continue growing when they should be shutting down and hardening off before winter hits. I lost a bunch of cherry trees in my nursery this past year as I added quite a bit of compost before planting and the trees were still too "green" when winter hit last year. Depend on your growing zone and how much N is actually applied.

In my opinion, it's too late. You can fertilize from a couple weeks before bud break to July 1st. IMO, fertilizing now results in too much new growth that would be susceptible to winter damage.

It causes trees to continue growing when they should be shutting down and hardening off before winter hits. I lost a bunch of cherry trees in my nursery this past year as I added quite a bit of compost before planting and the trees were still too "green" when winter hit last year. Depend on your growing zone and how much N is actually applied.

Some of those fertilizer spikes say to reapply them. I have not been doing so as winter can hit quickly in our climate. TC is correct that what works in some locations with milder winters might not work in northern climates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk