Tree Stands left on Public

chucker66

5 year old buck +
What is the Brain Trust's thoughts on Tree Stands left on public land where the law clearly states they should not be left there? Finders keepers?

Chuck

Absolutely

Illegal actions should have painful repercussions

I personally wouldn't want to trust someone else's stand even if it looked relatively new. The 150-300 dollars in savings isn't worth it.

I always just mark them in OnX for my own record keeping and if I speak with a conservation officer I will share the locations with them.

Its legal in numerous states, In NY it's not legal, but its not enforced either.

Poor guy is just trying to get a deer. I just walk on by........ I dont want my stand solen, so I dont steal other peoples............

Its legal in numerous states, In NY it's not legal, but its not enforced either.

Poor guy is just trying to get a deer. I just walk on by........ I dont want my stand solen, so I dont steal other peoples............
But it’s illegal. If we don’t follow laws than we have anarchy. Just cause some poor fella wants to get a deer doesn’t mean he can do whatever he wants. Where does it end….

But it’s illegal. If we don’t follow laws than we have anarchy. Just cause some poor fella wants to get a deer doesn’t mean he can do whatever he wants. Where does it end….
Where does stealing fall under the law of the great state of New York?

Laws are different for each state but here in NY you are allowed to put up a treestand as long as it doesn't cause damage to the tree and you can't leave it up, it has to get put up and pulled every time you hunt. I would never steal anyone else's treestand, stealing is illegal but this isn't stealing. The illegal part in this scenerio is leaving the treestand up.

The New York Hunting and Trapping Regulations Guide states that, “It is unlawful to construct or place a permanent structure, blind, stand or platform (includes placement of nails or other hardware into trees), or leave any personal property at the time of leaving the area.”

If you didn't buy it or have it given to you it isn't yours. #7 is pretty clear.

Once the treestand is left overnight in illegal areas it then turns into garbage in my eyes. You are doing the state a favor to carry that garbage out of the woods. If you choose to use the stand or throw it away that would be the same to me.

I'm going to go back to my original point. Leave it up to the conservation officers for what should be done with the stands.

Some states have laws against keeping found property.

Finally, most state conservation departments auction off seized and found property from hunting and fishing activities. I would rather they make a little bit of money from the found property rather then me saving a couple hundred bucks on a used tree stand.

I'm with you.

Illegal? Sure. I am going to lose sleep about it to the point that I then steal the stand? Uh....no.

The remnants of several stands still remain on my farm from generations past. Some, no more than a step or two remain nailed to a tree trunk. Never really felt the need to tear them down. Natures done a fine job doing it for me. Often stumble across them deep in one of my sanctuaries and it's rather fun to imagine what must have gone through a hunters head to hang stands in certain spots. Did he not realize this was a bedding area? Does he have zero knowledge of scent dispersal? Maybe he's far smarter than me and that certain spot catches a thermal that runs his scent right over the deer.

I don't tend to mind them on public ground. They all tell a story that's worth investigating.

I'm going to go back to my original point. Leave it up to the conservation officers for what should be done with the stands.

Some states have laws against keeping found property.

Finally, most state conservation departments auction off seized and found property from hunting and fishing activities. I would rather they make a little bit of money from the found property rather then me saving a couple hundred bucks on a used tree stand.
I’m almost certain no state would have take the liability of auctioning off a treestand. Heck I had one delivered from bass pro where the box came torn and they didn’t even want it back, they said dispose of it for liability reasons. Of course I didn’t.
The issue with leaving stands is it turns territorial. People claim spots when they leave stands. Turns into trouble 9 times out of 10. If you don’t want to take it, maybe take it down. I just hate when people claim public spots as their own.

I would just walk by and remove the lower ladder portions and put them somewhere else. There is a cost to breaking the rules.

If it's just one, I'd leave it be. We don't know why it was left there. It could be an old duffer that cannot take down and put up a stand like that on his own. I'd hate to see the look on his face when he went to check it and it was gone and he couldn't get another one before season, or the help to put it up.

Now, if you've got an army of squatters who claim to own the 120 public acres they've got 25 ladder stands on, and they try to run you off... Bring the flatbed for cleanup day.

I’m almost certain no state would have take the liability of auctioning off a treestand. Heck I had one delivered from bass pro where the box came torn and they didn’t even want it back, they said dispose of it for liability reasons. Of course I didn’t.
The issue with leaving stands is it turns territorial. People claim spots when they leave stands. Turns into trouble 9 times out of 10. If you don’t want to take it, maybe take it down. I just hate when people claim public spots as their own.
Minnesota definitely does. I have done both online and in-person bids for something in the annual auction and there are absolutely climbing, hang-on, and ladder stands every year.

I exclusively hunt public land in Minnesota. I typically hike around 30-40 miles when off-season scouting every year. Nearly every property I hunt or have scouted I have found old tree stands or remnants of some. I have yet to come across a tree stand that I would consider hunting out of, much less want to go through the hassle of taking it down and hauling it out of the woods.

Of course it is annoying how people specifically lay claim to pieces of public. It's best to just let the conservation officers take care of it, though.

Edit: here is a link to one in Minnesota that specifically mentions tree stands: https://www.outdoornews.com/2018/08...g-fishing-equipment-set-for-auction-saturday/

Minnesota definitely does. I have done both online and in-person bids for something in the annual auction and there are absolutely climbing, hang-on, and ladder stands every year.

I exclusively hunt public land in Minnesota. I typically hike around 30-40 miles when off-season scouting every year. Nearly every property I hunt or have scouted I have found old tree stands or remnants of some. I have yet to come across a tree stand that I would consider hunting out of, much less want to go through the hassle of taking it down and hauling it out of the woods.

Of course it is annoying how people specifically lay claim to pieces of public. It's best to just let the conservation officers take care of it, though.

Edit: here is a link to one in Minnesota that specifically mentions tree stands: https://www.outdoornews.com/2018/08...g-fishing-equipment-set-for-auction-saturday/
That’s crazy. Good for them. I would have thought they wouldn’t touch that with a 10’ pole

I remember scouting pyramid state park in Illinois years ago and being so discouraged we never came back. Every good looking spot had a hang on stand in a tree.

removing property that is not yours is stealing, no way around it, its NOT your job to enforcer any laws, your not a law enforcement officer with this task!
not sure why one would think they have a RIGHT to steal
of you find a stand left after the cut off date, report it
just like reporting any other crime
other wise you are stealing someone else property
be it the person that put the stand up, or the states game dept that owns the land!

also, keep in mind there can be good reasons Why a person hasn;'t been able to remove there stand, like health issue's, ever think of that??

entitlement issues are all over the place any more it seems!

be a whole lot different if the stand was FOUND on YOUR LAND, but state land is NOT your's, so your again stealing someone else property if you remove it off land that is NOT your's!

Leaving stands is real common on public in MN.

It doesn't bother me to see other people leaving stands up. To the contrary, it tells me where hunter pressure might be focused which might be useful in figuring out where to hunt. Since i'm in my 30's and typically "hang and hunt" or just ground hunt on public It wouldn't bother me if regs to changed to never allow stands to be left overnight as it would probably reduce some competition from people who don't set/remove stands annually or daily.

Now, if the entire woods was thick with them I could see being perturbed and wanting enforcement to take care of it but it's not that bad where I hunt in Northern MN so in that case, taking one seems kind of shitty.

The thing i take issue with is people who think putting a stand up makes that spot theirs. I've seen a number of threads on other forums where people are outraged when someone has the audacity to sit in the stand they left on public. Bullshit. Leave it if you want but that spot doesn't belong to you and you're inviting others to utilize it when you leave a stand sitting there. Maybe better enforcement would prevent some of these conflicts?

I'll never forget my first opening morning of firearm season when I was 12. Walked over a mile through a swamp to get to my tree and found that someone had taken my Dad and I's stands that we hung the prior afternoon. I remember thinking how shitty of a move that seemed like so maybe that shaped my opinion on the whole deal.