Tree signs

NE PA QDM

5 year old buck +
I just got these in the mail today. Someone else on this forum got tree tags from this guy in WI before and seemed happy with the results so I decided to give him a try. He custom made these laser engraved plastic signs for me, I'm very happy with them. He was very easy and honest to work with. And he was able to make a schematic to represent each branch on my multi-varietal trees so that sold me.

They are supposed to be very UV-resistant material. I have used aluminum tree tags for the last 5 years and like them but wanted something more visible and easier to read. These weren't as inexpensive as the other ways to mark trees out there but I'm pretty happy with them.

I have no affiiliation with him. Just thought I'd throw this out there for anyone who wants a "professional" looking tree tag. Based on the other thread, I think he can make pretty much any size tags (and I know he can make them in pretty much any color combination).IMG_5830.JPGIMG_5830.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5832.JPG
    IMG_5832.JPG
    449.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5833.JPG
    IMG_5833.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 14
IMG_5834.JPG

Sweet looking tags! I have the aluminum tags that you write on. They're ok but if they hang loose they get beat up. Those look professional

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Those are really nice but must have cost a bundle. I like the aluminum numbered tags. I keep a database with all the information and use the tag number as an index. I can print maps with the locations and reports with all the details that I take to the field when working. With the number of trees I've been planting, I can't afford more than just the numbered tags.

The other issue I have with putting too much information on the tags is that things can be dynamic for me. When one thing isn't working, I may cut it down and bark graft something else. This kind of thing is easy to change in a DB and simply print a new report. I'm guessing that with lower volumes of more mature trees, this wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,

Jack

Those are really nice but must have cost a bundle. I like the aluminum numbered tags. I keep a database with all the information and use the tag number as an index. I can print maps with the locations and reports with all the details that I take to the field when working. With the number of trees I've been planting, I can't afford more than just the numbered tags.

The other issue I have with putting too much information on the tags is that things can be dynamic for me. When one thing isn't working, I may cut it down and bark graft something else. This kind of thing is easy to change in a DB and simply print a new report. I'm guessing that with lower volumes of more mature trees, this wouldn't be an issue.

Thanks,

Jack
Good points, Jack.
This project was done partly so my family could more easily find and ID trees and individual varieties more easily. They haven't a clue where I planted what and they don't want to scour the orchards for the small and nearly illegible aluminum tags that I've scribbled onto over the years!!!

They aren't cheap but the small ones cost less than a single T-post so really not a huge expenditure when compared to the $ people will spend on staking and protecting an apple tree. I'm happy to spend $2.50 to have a legible sign if it lasts me 10 years.

The concern about "dynamic" changes was one of my biggest. For that reason I chose only to tag my most stable trees (I.e the ones that have been around the longest, grow the best, and therefore I think I'm unlikely to remove). If a tree dies I'm maybe out a few bucks on the sign but likely I would replace a tree with the same variety so I'm ok with that risk. Some of the more detailed and multi-varietal trees might change a bit from the signage but they'll still be close enough to correct that I'm ok with that if I lose or add a branch/variety.

I just think it's a cool alternative (yes, more expensive) option for marking my trees. Bob was really easy and pleasant to work with, check him out f you're ever interested in engraved tree tags.

Good points, Jack.
This project was done partly so my family could more easily find and ID trees and individual varieties more easily. They haven't a clue where I planted what and they don't want to scour the orchards for the small and nearly illegible aluminum tags that I've scribbled onto over the years!!!

They aren't cheap but the small ones cost less than a single T-post so really not a huge expenditure when compared to the $ people will spend on staking and protecting an apple tree. I'm happy to spend $2.50 to have a legible sign if it lasts me 10 years.

The concern about "dynamic" changes was one of my biggest. For that reason I chose only to tag my most stable trees (I.e the ones that have been around the longest, grow the best, and therefore I think I'm unlikely to remove). If a tree dies I'm maybe out a few bucks on the sign but likely I would replace a tree with the same variety so I'm ok with that risk. Some of the more detailed and multi-varietal trees might change a bit from the signage but they'll still be close enough to correct that I'm ok with that if I lose or add a branch/variety.

I just think it's a cool alternative (yes, more expensive) option for marking my trees. Bob was really easy and pleasant to work with, check him out f you're ever interested in engraved tree tags.
They look real nice and I'm sure they will be legible for many years. One thing I especially like about your application helping the family ID trees. I may eventually do something like this once things become more permanent at my place as well. Nothing like repetition to teach kids. Every time they walk past the tree it will be reinforced.

As far as the cost goes, when planting a few trees it is a small cost. In volume, every $ counts. I've even stopped using T posts for staking cages. I've turned to remesh cages because it will stand in place without a T-post. In most cases I just let them sit on the ground. If I'm worried about deer pushing the envelope, I'll wire them to a short length of rebar I pound in.

Thanks,

Jack

Those look better than mine, but I can customize mine in a few minutes.
c06c57fc6f3c622f2ea0443d55bef639.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk