Tree / Plant ID Requests

bigbendmarine

5 year old buck +
Yep, I know there's a bit more representation from the north than south on the forum but guessing some of my North Florida species will be crossovers and thought it'd be fun just to share for kicks and giggles... :emoji_slight_smile:

Will number for answering / tracking purposes.

1) First I'm about 99.999% sure I already know, but man what a tree! Guessing this one is 90 to 100' tall. Laughing as remember a friend seeing the trunk and stating he'd never seen a pine with that exact same bark. With the canopy a bit thin, right now I was able to see why... lol!

DSCN0691.JPG
DSCN0695.JPG

DSCN0698.JPG

DSCN0718.JPG

2) This one, pardon the pun, has me a bit "stumped". Small scrubby tree about 20' tall. Growing very close to my pond with roots in an area that stays boggy.

DSCN0736.JPG

Leaves look a bit oak or willow-like in almost a starburst pattern...

DSCN0741.JPG

3) Another tree species down near my pond (though the root of this one are in a bit drier spot than the species above).

DSCN0725.JPG

DSCN0728.JPG

DSCN0732.JPG

4) Finally, any ideas why the bark is either falling / or being stripped off so perfectly from this dead pine? Can't remember seeing such symmetrical loss before...

DSCN0683.JPG

Should close with admission I only feel confident I know the answer to #1, so I won't be making fun of any guesses -- they'll be as good or better than my own!

Last edited:
And adding one "bonus" question... almost every evening I have deer amass outside one of my windows to feed in a field where I HAVEN'T planted anything... and this is with THREE fairly pretty food plots within a hundred yards distance... they're basically feeding in the entire area around the tree tubes.

DSCN0408.JPG

Lest it look like it just has grass in it, it definitely has some blackberry and other small weeds / forbs... admittedly RANDOM couple of photos taken from the spots where they seem to be feeding... anybody feel confident they're hitting anything specific beyond the blackberry brambles?

DSCN0681.JPG

DSCN0679.JPG

DSCN0678.JPG

Whatever it is they like, they seem to spend about an hour nipping at it every evening... just really curious to know if it's something specific I can focus on boosting in any way?

DSCN0781.JPG

Hey BigBend...I have no clue, but enjoy seeing seeing your FL tree species. The only one I'd take a stab at is #1...looks like Black Cherry to me (Prunus serotina), but not convinced about the berries.

The only one I'd take a stab at is #1...looks like Black Cherry to me (Prunus serotina), but not convinced about the berries.
Pretty sure you're right with the black cherry answer, Natty Bumppo! As shared in the post, though, that's the only one for which I have much confidence.

Sharing the same sets of photos on another southern-focused forum. I get answers I can verify are correct I'll be sure to share on this post too if not guessed here first. :emoji_thumbsup:

Last edited:
My guess on why the deer are feeding around your tubes is because it’s kept clipped keeping it tender new growth, it’s fertilized good and this time of year it’s the nutrients they need.

My guess on why the deer are feeding around your tubes is because it’s kept clipped keeping it tender new growth, it’s fertilized good and this time of year it’s the nutrients they need.
Could be H20fwler, but also afraid you may be giving me more credit than is due... can't say I'm the best for staying on top of maintenance chores like fertilizing! :emoji_disappointed:

Tend to throw some fertilizer around all my trees one time in mid-spring and then forget about it until the following spring, and still haven't gotten around to the task for 2020 (been waiting to be sure we're done with frost threat). What picture doesn't show is I have five other spots that I treat / keep cut just like it (and with same trees tubed) and for whatever reason the deer just REALLY like that field. Thinking about it a bit more, it does sit real close to my property line and thick scrubby growth on the bordering plantation land... may just be proximity to bedding has them coming into that field right before dark out of travel convenience.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/874315202585568/

Flora of the Southeastern United States

Maybe, try this 2700 member facebook group. They have a lot more plant people there. There are many non natives in FL so it can be tough to pick stuff out.

First one definitely looks to be Black Cherry.

Second one I think could be a laurel or swamp laurel oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with Black Cherry on first

Second is Wax Myrtle

Third - I would like to see closer up after leaves fully develop.

Agree with Black Cherry on first

Second is Wax Myrtle

Third - I would like to see closer up after leaves fully develop.
Looking up images online, I'm leaning towards the wax myrtle on #2. Will keep eye on it and try to remember to update when / if berries (or acorns in case of laurel oak) develop.

If indeed a wax myrtle, Native Hunter, do they offer any / much wildlife value? It's growing not too far from my pond dock and I'm doing my best to keep area cleared of junkier trees like sweetgums though I have left a few trees I like more like Ogeechee tupelo and some catawbas I planted relatively close (for bait!).

As for the third, would you think red maple might be possible? Ask as I found a few seeds not too far away.

Looking up images online, I'm leaning towards the wax myrtle on #2. Will keep eye on it and try to remember to update when / if berries (or acorns in case of laurel oak) develop.

If indeed a wax myrtle, Native Hunter, do they offer any / much wildlife value? It's growing not too far from my pond dock and I'm doing my best to keep area cleared of junkier trees like sweetgums though I have left a few trees I like more like Ogeechee tupelo and some catawbas I planted relatively close (for bait!).

As for the third, would you think red maple might be possible? Ask as I found a few seeds not too far away.

The fruit of Wax Myrtle is used by many birds and small game. I doubt much deer use, but my knowledge of it is vicarious since it isn't native in my area.

That is possible for the third. It should be easy to tell once the leaves come on out and mature.