All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting pics.

Jake

5 year old buck +
I moved 2 apple trees last fall across the farm and they took in their new home ( kinda see them in tbe last pic). So I figure I try again this fall. Did 2 trees so far already this fall and then my biggest tree yesterday.

Reason for moving these trees range from being under a power line, next to a pine tree by a power line, one along the road the town would brush cut next year, and a new cell tower road going over one tree.
So it was move em or lose em... We will see what next year brings,but least I tried.
20181019_170237.jpg20181020_074714.jpg20180923_122028_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20181019_180150.jpg
    20181019_180150.jpg
    401.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Make sure you mouse proof with screen. I would put bales of straw over the root ball area. Water well well as the straw will keep the ground freezing for a while.

Take the bales or spread them probable is December to let the ground.

Crap shoot on survival ... good luck!

Good idea on the hay. I will do that. Thanks.
Mice proofing = I will keep it shoveled in winter and add mesh around the base soon. Mostly done with all my other trees.

Was thrilled this spring when the two I moved last year started to bud out. Weird thing with them two was early summer they looked bad but must have went into shock and bounced back.

Good idea on the hay. I will do that. Thanks.
Mice proofing = I will keep it shoveled in winter and add mesh around the base soon. Mostly done with all my other trees.

Was thrilled this spring when the two I moved last year started to bud out. Weird thing with them two was early summer they looked bad but must have went into shock and bounced back.

Probably transfer of putting energy into root system. Do you have pics of how you cut the root ball?

Probably transfer of putting energy into root system. Do you have pics of how you cut the root ball?

Not off hand sorry. I just dug all around it with the bucket. It eventaully came loose and away I went.

I would prune he tree back hard this winter, removing about 1/3 of its branch mass. A lot of its roots will have been damaged by the move which means the root will not have the capacity to feed the tree's branches.

Good idea.
The one in the pics I did prune and the other two I moved last month I pruned heavy. I have my doubts on them other 2 making it as I moved them too early. Time will tell.

Last years trees that I moved and they took hold I didn't prune.