Training and Pruning

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
I would say these are some of my better formed trees. In my backyard at home, I check them weekly. Obviously i can't say the charlie brown tree in my other thread has had this kind attention. That other one has just always had it's share of issues. Anyways....

This is a Sweet 16 on G.30 rootstock, this year will be 3rd leaf. I'm aggressive with clothespins and wire between april and july or august.

CameraZOOM-20160207131542576.jpg

Here is another angle.
CameraZOOM-20160207131555289.jpg

Then you'll notice another tree in the background. Zestar!, this will be 4th leaf, also G.30 rootstock. This tree had 6 fruit that were grapefruit sized last year. I think it should do very well this year. The trunk is beer can sized at the base and gotta be around 12-13', I'm curious to see how tall this rootstock actually gets. All of my trees are going in very heavy clay other than the planting hole where i put good black dirt.
CameraZOOM-20160207131700002.jpg

Here's a closeup of the top of the tree. There is a huge majestic white pine to the south of this tree, but it gets a great afternoon dose of sun.
CameraZOOM-20160207131734141.jpg

Up close, this 3rd year limb looks eager to work!
CameraZOOM-20160207131805446.jpg

Looks like some apples in your future!!

CE those look fantastic man!

Anybody else use these spreaders to train your trees? Kinda nice for the higher up limbs, but I still think I will have to pull the tips down with wire.

I use spreaders made from wood lath. I'd love to tie tips down, but bears would find the wires and play with them and end up breaking all the limbs off. I don't need trip wires for bears to maul. Side note: a member saw a 500 lb.-er. and a 300 lb.-er at camp this weekend while coming/going on our lane. - - - Anyone want a real steal deal on some bears ??

I use spreaders made from wood lath. I'd love to tie tips down, but bears would find the wires and play with them and end up breaking all the limbs off. I don't need trip wires for bears to maul. Side note: a member saw a 500 lb.-er. and a 300 lb.-er at camp this weekend while coming/going on our lane. - - - Anyone want a real steal deal on some bears ??

I'm heading to Ontario tomorrow to hunt bears. First time for me. Last year there was a big one on the property.