Tractor...New vs used, 2wd vs 4wd.

eclipseman

5 year old buck +
All,
Currently I use my father's tractor but it can be tiresome driving his tractor back and forth between our properties so I'm thinking of getting a tractor for myself. Of course finances are everything and everyone says larger is better and depends on my needs. So I will start with my needs. I like having a loader on front so that is a must. I do 5 acres worth of food plots and "may" expand that to 7 but that may not happen for a long time (5+ years). The land I work is flat but that new plot area I "may" put in does involve a steepish hill to travel to in the woods so I'm not sure if 4wd matters for that. I live in NY and would use the tractor for food plotting only. I like to brush hog my clover so a brushog is a must. I try to throw and mow BUT sometimes I need to till so would also like a tiller or disc, and lastly id purchase a fertilizer broadcaster. In a perfect world I would buy a brand new 50-60hp tractor with 4wd, a loader, and a cab but that is just not in the cards. So here are my questions and please base answers on what I have mentioned above:
1.) Do you always buy new or do you mostly buy used? What are the pros and cons of each?
2.) For what I describe is 4wd really needed? The reason I ask is I see there is quite a large difference in price between 4wd and 2wd tractors all else being equal. Because it seems you could get a 45hp 2wd tractor for a similar price as a 30horse 4wd.
Anything else to consider?

I planted 30 acres of food plots for years with a 28 hp JD 790 and five foot implements. For what you are doing, a 45 hp 2wd would probably be perfect with six ft implements. I have a 65 hp 4wd now and run 8 ft implements and rarely use 4wd and I have some soft bottom land. My last tractor I bought new because the difference between new and used wasn’t much money. No way would I spend money on a cab tractor for that acreage . And no, bigger is not always better.

Reactions: Tap
I planted 30 acres of food plots for years with a 28 hp JD 790 and five foot implements. For what you are doing, a 45 hp 2wd would probably be perfect with six ft implements. I have a 65 hp 4wd now and run 8 ft implements and rarely use 4wd and I have some soft bottom land. My last tractor I bought new because the difference between new and used wasn’t much money. No way would I spend money on a cab tractor for that acreage . And no, bigger is not always better.

I agree. My next tractor will have 4wd but my property is not level and I can get by without it, but I would like to have it and you will pay for it as you already know. For what you are doing I think Swampcat is spot on. You could get by with less tractor but that would be ideal IMO.

Obvious pros and cons of new/used. One pro of buying new can be summed up with pictures like this.

cars ice.png

Reactions: kl9
All,
Currently I use my father's tractor but it can be tiresome driving his tractor back and forth between our properties so I'm thinking of getting a tractor for myself. Of course finances are everything and everyone says larger is better and depends on my needs. So I will start with my needs. I like having a loader on front so that is a must. I do 5 acres worth of food plots and "may" expand that to 7 but that may not happen for a long time (5+ years). The land I work is flat but that new plot area I "may" put in does involve a steepish hill to travel to in the woods so I'm not sure if 4wd matters for that. I live in NY and would use the tractor for food plotting only. I like to brush hog my clover so a brushog is a must. I try to throw and mow BUT sometimes I need to till so would also like a tiller or disc, and lastly id purchase a fertilizer broadcaster. In a perfect world I would buy a brand new 50-60hp tractor with 4wd, a loader, and a cab but that is just not in the cards. So here are my questions and please base answers on what I have mentioned above:
1.) Do you always buy new or do you mostly buy used? What are the pros and cons of each?
2.) For what I describe is 4wd really needed? The reason I ask is I see there is quite a large difference in price between 4wd and 2wd tractors all else being equal. Because it seems you could get a 45hp 2wd tractor for a similar price as a 30horse 4wd.
Anything else to consider?

For FEL work, I think 4x4 and weight are a must. They are also important for ground engaging equipment like a 2-bottom plow or a subsoiler. While I no longer use my plow and have switched to min/no till, for reclaiming logging decks I still use a subsoiler once to start to relieve compression. Think about what implements you will use. I got a Kasco 4' no-till versadrill for planting beans and corn. It is a 3-pt model. I uses it with my Kioti DK45 4x4 with FEL. It works fine. One year my Kioti was in the shop and a borrowed a 30 hp L-series kubota. It had plenty of power for the 3pt hitch to lift the drill but because it is so long, it lifted the front wheels off the ground (no FEL). I had to fashion weights to use it. I got a cab. The older I get the the more I like the cab, but one warning. The AC on my Kioti is very poorly designed. It seems it is always in the shop for AC repairs. Without the AC working, the glass cab becomes so hot in the sun it is unuseable. Every time I bushog over a yellowjacket nest, I thank God for the cab.

I've done a lot of clearing work with my FEL and for work like that weight and 4x4 are needed. If you are just using the FEL to tote things around, it is another story. I wish I had bought larger in hindsight, but I think most guys do.

Thanks,

Jack

Like Jack mentions, if you want to do any real work with loader 4x4 is req'd unless you have a very big tractor which weighs a bunch. Old vs new is relative. If old means within last 20-25 yrs, no problem with some low hours on that age. If beyond that in age you may find the hydraulics for loaders somewhat anemic. Pump flows just werent as high or critical I guess, especially on smaller rigs. That's why I bought new 20 yrs ago because the ones from 40 yrs ago did not have loader specs that could match up. I would get 4x4 over a cab but that is just me

I would say 4WD is a must have with a loader.I have a 4120 JD 43hp with a FEL. I use the 4WD every time I use the loader. The new tractors are just so light the back tires will spin when you try to load the bucket. Hydrostatic trans is awesome with the FEL, not necessary, but a great option. The JD is a 2005 with a 1100hrs on it and has never been in for a repair yet. I wouldn't hesitate buying a used one around this age if it was well taken care of. I have 2 old tractors at the hunting land 1948 Massey Harris and a 1968 Oliver 1650. They have a lot of power/weight and can pull a 10ft disc no problem. They have been good tractors but it seem like I'm constantly fixing little things on them. It is frustrating working on them when you have limited time. It would be great to have the JD up there but not for the little amount I use them a year. I would rather have a(newer) used larger hp tractor than a new one with less HP. I know it can be done but 30hp seems small to do 7 acres, unless you have the time.

I am also thinking about a newer tractor. My 1979 ,2-30 white diesel is a sweet tractor, but it is hard to get parts for it. I want 40 hp and 4x4 with loader. I have looked at jd, Kubota , new holland, case, and mahindra. The cost for 50 hp with fel and 4x4, what I was quoted, jd, kubota=$ 36,000 and case and NH $30,000 and mahindra $25,000. If I was going to buy today, I would go new and low cost. So mahindra would be my choice. The mahindra is wider , that could be a benefit. Like the picture above you could get burned going used, and the expensive things to fix you can’t see. One salesman told me that a customer brought in a tractor to have trany work done on it and the owner told them later that they left it in a river over night.

Attachments

• 599647A3-C07F-46C8-91A7-F84FCB2001AA.jpeg
    599647A3-C07F-46C8-91A7-F84FCB2001AA.jpeg
    743.9 KB · Views: 25
I wouldn't buy anything not 4x4.

I agree with not getting anything unless it’s 4x4. You may not need it now, but something can change in the future where you would need it and wish you had it. I’m surprised they make tractors without 4wd. The same goes for trucks. I don’t know why they make them without 4wd.

4x4 all day long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never heard anyone say that they wished they had bought a smaller tractor. As far as 4 WD you don’t need it. Well that is until you need it. I wouldn’t buy a truck that isn’t 4x4 and I surely wouldn’t buy a tractor with a loader that wasn’t 4 WD.

I have mostly all flat land and I have needed the 4WD quite often especially with loader work.

New tractors today are light. Even with a ballest on the rear there are times I have too much power and not enough weight so I spin my tires.

New or used that’s up to you and your budget. I looked for about 18 months and decided I couldn’t look at a used tractor and really tell how well it was taken care of. People can really clean things up when they want to get top dollar.

I ultimately decided on a new tractor and bought a 61 hp Kubota. I looked at at them all JD, Kioti, LS, Mahindra. It ultimately came down to the dealership. I was all set to buy a Kioti until I realized the closet dealer was 95 miles.

I then leverage the 3 Kubota dealers against each other that were all within 20 miles until I felt I couldn’t get a better deal. I ended up getting the tractor, loader, and 3 implements. Kubota also had 60 months no interest so I got to keep the cash in the bank. Now there are times when I wish I didn’t have that payment and went used but I only have a few years left and will have a tractor with a few hundred hours on it that I know was taken care of.

I looked at new Kubota tractors. I bought a used Kubota L345 4x4 Diesel with a FEL at an auction. It was a one owner tractor that had always been stored inside and had 310 original hours on it. The auction just happened at the right time during my search. I got a one owner, low hours, stored inside Kubota at a reasonable price. It has a cab on it. The cab has a front windshield and rear glass with two Eisenglass side curtains that can be put on with snaps. The curtain on the entry side of the tractor has a zipper on it so that it can be on and open. I like the curtains and I find then especially useful in colder weather. The cab keeps branches from hitting the operator in the face when mowing in wooded areas.
That purchase was 27 years ago. I built a small shed under a 8'x8' elevated deer stand to store the Kubota indoors out of the sun and other elements. An indoor storage area of some sort is a must have if you plan on keeping your tractor long term like I am doing. My shed is nothing fancy but it does the job and I believe that contributes to a longer life with less problems.
I had every intention of buying a new Kubota but the right used tractor came along at a fortunate time for me.

Just curious......

Have any of us ever mused......"Gee,I wish I had bought a smaller tractor "........

bill

I bought a used tractor (Kubota L3940, 4x4 with FEL) this time in order to get a Tier 3 engine (no emissions crap). But is only had 200 hours on it. I previously owned a 70hp cab Kubota (M7040) that I bought new and while the cab was nice at times, it was almost equally not as nice at times. Out in the middle of a big field during the summer, the A/C couldn't keep up with all that glass (was going to tint the windows but ended up selling the farm and tractor). Very nice to have cab while mowing in dry conditions as you don't end up filthy and breathing all that dust. 4x4 was mandatory for my places.

Just curious......

Have any of us ever mused......"Gee,I wish I had bought a smaller tractor "........

bill

Only when mowing roads and having limbs smacking and scratching the sides and roof

Only when mowing roads and having limbs smacking and scratching the sides and roof
Or I'm towing it into the shop.

Forgot about that part

Mine is a kubota M6040 60 hp with cab

Mowing narrow trails destroys reflectors,mirrors,lights,antennae,etc

bill

Forgot about that part

bill

OK, I'm jealous!

Forgot about that part

bill
Yep. I had no mirrors, the blinkers were both busted on the front, thought for sure I shattered the front windshield once...