Tractor HP

I bought a 58 hp tractor and have wished I had gotten bigger from day one. I have never met someone that said I wish I had a smaller horsepower tractor.
I have said it plenty of times - fortunately, I have a smaller tractor so I can use it. When I bought my last tractor, I had decided to buy a 75 hp tractor. The salesman at the JD dealer asked me what type and size of equipment was I going to run. I said nothing over 8 ft - I cant get down my trail with anything larger. He said a 55 hp 4wd would do everything I wanted to do. He said I might sometimes have some difficulty with an 8 ft bush hog in thick grass. I ended up getting a 7 ft bush hog because I didnt want one with two gearboxes - and a 65 hp tractor. The 75 hp would have truly been a waste of hp. The money I saved bought a 7 ft frontier bush hog, pallet forks, and a sun shade for drivers station. Not one time in 1000 hrs have I wished for a bigger tractor. I do use my 28 hp tractor almost as much as my bigger tractor. There are things the little tractor cant do and things the bigger tractor cant do.

I’m very glad I got a m7060 over the mx5400 I was originally looking at.

I have said it plenty of times - fortunately, I have a smaller tractor so I can use it. When I bought my last tractor, I had decided to buy a 75 hp tractor. The salesman at the JD dealer asked me what type and size of equipment was I going to run. I said nothing over 8 ft - I cant get down my trail with anything larger. He said a 55 hp 4wd would do everything I wanted to do. He said I might sometimes have some difficulty with an 8 ft bush hog in thick grass. I ended up getting a 7 ft bush hog because I didnt want one with two gearboxes - and a 65 hp tractor. The 75 hp would have truly been a waste of hp. The money I saved bought a 7 ft frontier bush hog, pallet forks, and a sun shade for drivers station. Not one time in 1000 hrs have I wished for a bigger tractor. I do use my 28 hp tractor almost as much as my bigger tractor. There are things the little tractor cant do and things the bigger tractor cant do.
Unicorn. Ha

I’m very glad I got a m7060 over the mx5400 I was originally looking at.
I got the mx5400 hst. Wish I had gotten the 70. As opposed to swamp I many many times wish I had more tractor. Honestly more for the stability. I have a lot of hills and it can get a bit dicey. More weight more than anything.

I got the mx5400 hst. Wish I had gotten the 70. As opposed to swamp I many many times wish I had more tractor. Honestly more for the stability. I have a lot of hills and it can get a bit dicey. More weight more than anything.
I bought my gp606nt before I had a tractor for it. I still had to add 1000lbs of weights on the front of the m7060 to be able to steer when I lift the drill.

I wont be able to get my 65 hp jd out of the yard for a month - if it quit raining today - which it is not. I used to plant 25 acres a year with my 28 hp tractor. It can accomplish pretty much everything the big tractor can do - but slower. The bigger tractor can not get around at all in some of the tighter areas and soil conditions have to be much better to use it. I have other property that it is also much easier to get the smaller tractor to.

I wont be able to get my 65 hp jd out of the yard for a month - if it quit raining today - which it is not. I used to plant 25 acres a year with my 28 hp tractor. It can accomplish pretty much everything the big tractor can do - but slower. The bigger tractor can not get around at all in some of the tighter areas and soil conditions have to be much better to use it. I have other property that it is also much easier to get the smaller tractor to.

I suspect your bottomlands will be mostly unworkable now until august

Most of mine are

bill

I bought my gp606nt before I had a tractor for it. I still had to add 1000lbs of weights on the front of the m7060 to be able to steer when I lift the drill.
my FEL helps. I’ll often put some seed bags in bucket to not have to come back to barn to keep planting and add weight.

MN guy,

Tell us a bit more about your land plans? Sandy soil is easy to work. I thought the smallest BX is 18hp ? Are you looking at the old L175/L185's from the 70's or the B series from the 80's?

Far as a small backhoe/bucket, they don't need much horsepower to operate. Hydrostatic drives make up for HP with slower speeds. Where the BX eries needs horsepower is tillage/pto usage/ and HP.

BX can do alot for a landowner. However, you pretty much need to buy new implements. Category zero ones are hard to find. I've owned a 1990;s 45hp and a 2012 32hp L series. Even the 32hp L was underpowered at times. The hydrostatic drive saved it though, could go slow enough with my snowmblower.

I do think any BX series tractor can be more useful than an ATV or UTV far as doing land work. Any UTV / ATV implement can be used on the BX.

What vehicles do you own now? ATV / UTV? Pickup truck? Trailers? Check out your local rental places. Some places have relatively affordable rental rates, because they hit folks with transportation. If you can get the tractor back n forth on your own and buy a implement or two, you can save alot of $$$.

Im sitting here instead of being at work because I ripped a muscle in my abdomen/chest. As we get older, we can't do as much. If there's a good deal on the 16hp one, go for it. IF you can afford a bit more tractor, that would be prefered.

I do about 2.5 acres with an ATV only. We have a few members doing alot of habitatit improvement with just ATV/UTV's. One guy on here just does food plots with a zero turn mower.

Since the OP has not said much to clarify, but not sure where thoughts on having a backhoe attachment on this little unit are coming from. But those backhoes are pricey, probably doubling the value on a used tiny little tractor. I would much rather spend money on jumping up to bigger tractor than a sub 20 hp with a backhoe and paying a premium for that. Unless this little tractor is a steal of a deal from some family member or you know the history and basically can sell it with 100% confidence and get money back and move to something else.

Last edited:
I’ve got lots of equipment but my zero turn still gets used way beyond its intended purpose.

Have you got your tires loaded? That really helps with stability and ballast for your loader, etc. I've got beet juice in my rears and air in the fronts.

Edit: Also some wheel spacers can reduce the tippy feelings. I think Bora makes good ones.

Last edited:
Have you got your tires loaded? That really helps with stability and ballast for your loader, etc. I've got beet juice in my rears and air in the fronts.
I do.

My place is just really hilly. Never struggles from a hp status. I just have to stay straight up and down hills.

I suspect your bottomlands will be mostly unworkable now until august

Most of mine are

bill
I cant even take my ranger down there now. By far the worst, slickest mud I have ever seen. I guess five days of frozen ground immediately followed by an eight in rain makes for an unbearable combination.

I cant even take my ranger down there now. By far the worst, slickest mud I have ever seen. I guess five days of frozen ground immediately followed by an eight in rain makes for an unbearable combination.
I hate that frostline glide. Frozen underneath and an inch of wet slime up top. Awesome time to scratch the top layer of grass for weed control before you frost seed a new spot.

Omicron, Did you flip the wheel for a wider track? L series had that. No matter what you're dirving up a hill, you get that queezy im gonna flip feeling. If you spots you regular up and down, filling those lumps n holes can make a big difference. Some guys remove the whole bucket assembly to make it more stable. I just put it as low as I can.

Totally agree with rocknstumps on the backhoe attraction. With smaller trees you're clearing, I'd just push the whole tree down with the front bucket. Like 4 inch or less ones. Some 6 nch ones depending on how it's in the ground.

USed 3 point backhoes can be found around $2000 range.

The orignial poster was vague on their intentions. If you are putting a home in with habitat work, then the backhoe is more important. Leech field, foundation digging. All depends on how much you want to do.

Glad I didn't consider (for very long) the 606nt for my mx6000 then!

Glad I didn't consider (for very long) the 606nt for my mx6000 then!
From what I have seen, if you need to do alot of turns while seeding, the tow behind wheel kit does better.

From what I have seen, if you need to do alot of turns while seeding, the tow behind wheel kit does better.
I think you have that backwards. The tow behind works better on long straight stretches. The 3 point works better with turns because you can pick it up and back up.

I borrowed a tow behind from our G&F and I swore I would never do that again - not only did I have to turn a lot, I had to back up some, too. Would never use a planter with wheels on my ground again.

I borrowed a tow behind from our G&F and I swore I would never do that again - not only did I have to turn a lot, I had to back up some, too. Would never use a planter with wheels on my ground again.
Me either. If I can’t pick it up I ain’t using it.