Topo Map

PackerBacker

5 year old buck +
Any tips on reading a topo map? What types of things should I be looking for to possibly identify some potentially decent spots for deer stand placement?

As I mentioned before, outside of muzzleloader season, I don't hunt my property. During traditional gun, I do the family tradition and we head out to the public land where the family has hunted for as long as they can all remember. I think in the 20 years I've been hunting, my stands have been no farther than 300 yards from my original stand because the elders had their stands and that area is what was available.

This year I asked my dad why everyone always walks in to the right of the boat landing when there are no hunters that we know of to the left. He looked a little puzzled and told me "I'm to lazy to walk up that big ass hill, you can do what you want."

Was hoping to try to identify a few potential spots on the map before I go hiking around out there to try and find a new spot.

Look for ridges, points and saddles and the heads of deep ravines. These are all areas where deer will use some sort of advantage. Even if the area is rather flat, low spots and small hills tend to make a difference. My general area is pretty flat, but deer still tend to move in the lower areas the most. Get a sat map as well and look for areas where different cover types come together. Your looking for areas where the travel/cover is reduce or confined that essentially force deer in a particular direction. Find a place where several features come together and your golden in most cases. Creek crossings, oak trees and the like are other things to keep an eye out for. It can always be exciting looking at new ground - take a climbing stand if you can as you may need to try a few places before you find a "home". Watch for activity and move if you need to.....I see far too many folks stay in the same tree the entire season and gripe that the deer stayed just out of reach......go get them!

Sounds like u have some good hills and swamp. U should have a few good spots.
My advice consider all your hunting trips scouting trips. Don't be super anal about sanctuaries and educating the deer as much as getting a good understanding of the property.
U have all that time in your stand to day dream all your habitat improvements/ future hunting tactics.

Pay attention to the steepness of the terrain on the topo. This is easily spotted when the lines are closer together it is steeper than when they are farther apart. This will help to find the saddles, funnels, and benches. For those who may not know what to look for, to find the "benches" that j-bird is referring to, look for an area where a bunch of close contour lines(indicating steep terrain) open up have a farther distance between 2 of the contour lines than what the normal surrounding terrain on the map is showing.
topo.png

I like the heads of hollows and if I can find a spot where 2 or 3 hollows all come to heads very near each other, with a narrow strip of flat in between the heads of those hollows ..... I'm up a tree there !!! I love saddles and benches too.

Whip - AAAHHHH ..... another topo man !!!!! I use topo's a ton looking for places like you arrowed on your post #5. One of my best-ever deer watches is where 3 hollows all come together like a " Y " with about 50 yds. of flat ridge running thru the hub area left to right in the " Y ". Constant traffic during the rut. The sound of running deer is commonplace there. Been a good bow AND rifle stand for me. I went to that spot based solely on the topo map. Figured it might be good.:) :cool:

Wanna post a map packer? These guys are drooling at the lip.

If I wanted a map posted I would do it myself, notice the post above.

This is the public land area that we hunt. My uncle sits on the bench just above the a in Mary overlooking the creek and swamp below. My dad sits on the ridge on the east branch of the creek where it comes out of the pot hole. My little brother (got my stand cause my dad wanted him to see deer when he started) sits on the very top of the hill that is just to the northwest of the pot hole on the east branch. My other uncle walks around the west branch of the creek and sits on the high ground in bottom left corner looking back at the creek and swamp. I currently sit almost on the lake just to the northeast of where the creek runs into the lake. For some reason, seems like wind is always at my back blowing scent into the swamp.

We park almost on the northern part of the lake and nobody walks up the steep hill you can see there. I was originally thinking to of climbing the hill and sitting on the high spot looking down at lake.

55fb5829_9af_44.png

What everyone else said above is all good advice.

Even with the wind blowing directly from the NNW out into the lake, you will get swirling backcurrents of wind that will push your scent back up that opening towards the swamp due to both air convection off the lake and swirling winds dropping over the adjacent treeline. Similar to the diagram below.

689px-Diagrama_de_formacion_de_la_brisa-breeze.svg.png