Tooth Bar

greyphase

5 year old buck +
Anybody have a tooth bar on the bucket of their tractor? I've been told they really help when pushing out rocks, saplings and bushes. Any opinions, comments, or experiences ?

I put a tooth bar on my FEL because it would not dig in well at all. Think of it as a box blade in front of the tractor. All decent box blades have teeth to break up irregularities. I have about 600 feet of an old railroad bed on my property. The tracks and ties were removed many years ago. I wanted to smooth it out when I first got my tractor but the blade would ride over most humps and bumps without digging in. The tooth bar solved that. Mine is removable, but I have never taken it off once I found out how much better the FEL works with it. Between that and adding weight to the rear, the functionality of the front bucket was increased tremendously.

Anybody have a tooth bar on the bucket of their tractor? I've been told they really help when pushing out rocks, saplings and bushes. Any opinions, comments, or experiences ?

Yep, love mine. I use it all the time for many tasks. You can even use them for light tillage. You can angle the bucket to get the depth you want when back-dragging to spread stone. You can dig much better with it and I probably could not dig in my clay without it. I wouldn't be without one. I've even tied t-posts to a middle tooth to extract them from the ground. It is very rare for me to have a task that causes me to remove the toothbar once installed.

Thanks,

Jack

Are these tooth bars commercially available or do you have to make one yourself? It sounds like a great addition to my FEL bucket. I am always amazed by how versatile a FEL is for projects around the farm. I even use mine to move my 12 or 14 foot stands with a 4'x4' cabin on top.

They are commercially available. They had to drill/cut two holes on either side of my bucket for bolts. They fit over the lip and bolt on to the sides.

Thanks,

Jack

Bought a bolt on version from WR Long years ago. I don't use it much as my soil is sandy loam. I have put it on the bucket a few times when lending out my rig to good friends when they were reworking their yards at home where they have heavy clay. Put a couple of holes in sides of bucket, easy to install

I do not have one, but I do know of a guy who uses one. The idea is fairly simple when you think about it. If you have packed soil and you hit it with the edge of your bucket the force of that is essentially spread out along the entire edge of the bucket and this makes it far more difficult to break the soil. With the "teeth" on it - that force is now much greater at the points of those teeth and as such the soil will "bust" easier. My soil is pretty loamy so I don't worry about it, but soils that have a lot of clay can turn to almost like concrete. If your going to use your FEL to dig it may not be a bad little investment. The one I have seen is a bolt on and he simply had to drill the matching holes in his bucket and then thru bolted the thing on and it has been there ever since.

Thanks guys, sounds like a good Xmas gift to myself this winter. :emoji_relaxed:

This one will definitely be on my short list.

I bought one off amazon and custom fit and welded it to the tractor. I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am doing a clear to plot job tomorrow, I requested a toothed bucket for the tracked skid steer for so many reasons, I want to be able to use one machine to clear and prep the plots. For me it was not even a question on what to get, teeth all the way.

today marked day two of using a skid steer with tracks, and a tooth bucket. Did food plot clearing/ soil prep for a guy who has a nice secluded 23 acre lot. Had a mix of weeds, jap bar berry, multiflora rose, russian olive, raspberries, poison ive, grapevine, just general junk, good bedding, not much to eat. Went through 27 galloons of diesel fuel in a case T130. I could not have picked a better setup that that for what I needed to gt done. Going back tomorrow with 600 lbs winter rye, 25 lbs med red clover, 25 lbs purple tops, and 150 lbs 25 13 20 fert. probably should have gotten more fert, oh well. Ill try to upload some pics through tap talk in a few.

Here is a picture with the skid steer and tooth bucket. you can see how it ripped up the dirt and made it ready for planting in one step. this area a couple hours previous to this picture was choked out to the ground with multiflora rose Barbary and every other weed you could think of. Also a lot of down timber hiding that was all pushed off to the sides. It is a little shady now but the area was logged selectively and a good bit of sunshine comes through what is open now, and will only get better when the leaves drop.
827708092b69b68c5a4ba9821a8f429c.jpg
186e22f30dcbde2f2130608bff4ce690.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pic Mike. Looks like the skid steer and tooth bucket did a great job.

I think so, I would highly recommenced it if you have the cash, rental was NOT cheap. In this case I opened up about as much of the understory as I wanted, leaving about 75% cover, 25% plot space whic can be maintained with a lot less impact. I wish I could have used a brush busting mower head of sorts to keep the organics where they grew but just too much large debris stumps and logs.

9 days later and I think I have tremendous success. no way I could have done this as quickly and efficiently without a tooth bucket
4a8f545bba5bd64fb352a9ed34feccce.jpg
786d5a2e5c56fc79f26256d22524ba31.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ordèred a piranha tooth bar for my 1025 john deere last friday. Should be great for tagalders n willows to make my foodploþ trails.