Too many?

Greta&Gus

5 year old buck +
IMG_1911.JPG

Plus 2 more I have in the woods right now.

That's like to many fishing lures. No such thing.

But I wouldn't want to check all those on a small property in October and Nov.

Depends on how much acreage you are covering and your objective. Checking SD cards on all those may prove pretty intrusive depending on placement.

I had lots of cameras like that in the early days and I had to ask myself this question: How much time am I spending dealing with camera issues, changing batteries, and checking SD cards that could be better used in other QDM efforts? For my objectives, the loss of data for trending analysis and time I was spending dealing with these redirected me toward a different approach. I'm still running a dozen cameras across a little under 400 acres, but they are high end wireless cams that run 24/7/365 with out significant data loss. My focus now is further reduce visits to these by installing larger solar panels and larger capacity batteries.

It really depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Jack

I run a lot a trail cameras as well, my wife says I have too many... I think I could always use one more. Be smart about placement and be completely content with not checking every one all the time. I have some that will soak all fall and maybe checked once or twice. I do this because it helps me understand movement in certain areas throughout the course of the year and I can sometimes apply that next year and sometimes I just enjoy looking at pictures. One thing I am amazed at is how elusive bucks can be though. Move a camera 20 yards over a different creek crossing and all of a sudden you have a couple shooters on camera.

Nah......only the ones that don't work any more but hopefully you got your money's worth out of those. I've got a half dozen older ones hanging on hooks under the fishing poles in the garage that either don't work or don't work right, the rest of mine are out year round earning their keep.

We have had good luck, all of them work. Shouldn't miss too many deer with all of them on 280 acres.

Not enough of the Browning strike force in my opinion. Good little cameras that knock on wood I have not had a single issue with over 20 of them in the last 2 or 3 years. That model of cuddie back was by far there best most durable camera but a battery eater that misses alot of deer until it gets cooler out. I still hang the old flash cameras out for a couple weeks during the rut to make sure and get nice color pictures of some out of towners that might pass by in the night.

With that many - ever done a comparison test to see which ones work better in different conditions? I know some tend to take better daytime pics than others while others do better at night or have a greater range at night or some have a more sensitive trigger and the like.

Cams are just other tools.....some do a better job in certain applications than others. Just a thought.

I wish I could depend on my brownings,You never know when they will take a picture so I put them in places that aren't really that important

It is really the luck of the draw with the low end Chinese cams. The outside, branding, and model number can stay the same while the inside changes. You can get a run of good cameras off the assembly line and then a run of bad ones. That is largely why you will see one guy report that camera X works great and the next report it sucks. They may or may not actually be talking about the same hardware/firmware and if they are, one may a good one of the line and the next may not.

Thanks,

Jack

Ya can never have enough of a good thing. I bet you have a ball see what's going on when you're not around.

Dan- show us some pictures of the wolves, cats, and bears that you see on those!

My camera has been on the shelf for years.

I wish I could depend on my brownings,You never know when they will take a picture so I put them in places that aren't really that important

See and I bet Ive got 40 of them ive bought for myself and buddies. I bet in 5 years weve had 5 or 6 that had a problem. And all of those were immediately replaced by the company.

Aside from maybe the old Cuddeback Captures, the Brownings are the best "low end" cams ive found. Like Yoder says though, they all have some lemons in the bunch and everyone will have a different opinion.

Never enough cameras! Too much fun!