All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tiny pink berries?

Brush farmer

5 year old buck +
Apologies for the slightly blurry pictures, my phone wouldn't focus well with the falling snow. I thought it was best to take a picture of the tiny 3/16" pink berries on this plant that are present in winter as they seem to be the most notable feature. I've got 10+ acres of this stuff growing beneath a loose tree canopy of a former hillside pasture. It grows waist high and so thick it's difficult to walk through. It has small oval leaves similar to a locust leaflet when it's greened up. The stems are about finger thickness. They're also very tough and wirey. I have some paths hacked through this area for access but they were hard won. It usually takes several passes of a mower to finally clip it down. I'm at a loss to identify this stuff and have no idea if it is any wildlife benefit at all. I can't say I've ever seen deer browse on it. It be of some benefit to birds and turkey because of the winter berries but I'm not sure to what extent. Does anyone know what this might be?

Attachments

• IMG_3974.JPG
    IMG_3974.JPG
    771.4 KB · Views: 40
Hard to tell. Some kind of holly/winterberry?

Thanks ksgobbler! That's it! From the descriptions I'm finding the berry isn't that palatable to birds, more of a winter last resort food. Apparently deer do browse on it (maybe the leaves?) Maybe the best thing that can be said about it is that it makes low growing cover.