Ticks, Ticks, Ticks

gwm

5 year old buck +
Went shed hunting yesterday and between the two of us and two dogs we pulled 18 ticks. Be careful as you all start getting outside.

They are all deer ticks by me right now and they have been out for 2 weeks. I mixed up a batch of permethrin and sprayed my clothes over a week ago. I was out shed hunting a few days ago and would watch deer ticks crawling on my pants just to see how long they would make it. After I would notice a tick on my pants, they would fall over backwards easily within 1 minute.

I love home brew permethrin !

Nothing like watching them space out on your pant leg and fall off.

I love home brew permethrin !

Nothing like watching them space out on your pant leg and fall off.

X1000. The ticks that attached to my pants below my knee would start crawling towards my knee but none of them never made it above my knee. You are right about them spacing out. They were crawling and then they stoppped, it was like they were dazed. Then they would wiggle their front legs and poof, over backwards they went:cool:

I probbaly over do it with the ratio. I mix one ounce of the 10% permethrin with 12 ounces of water.

How do you make the home brew?

I've always just bought the Sawyer's brand and used that. I thought we had some for this weekend but it ended up being an empty bottle that for some reason didnt get thrown away.

My son is learning to skin trapped game. We got a coon today and it had ticks all over it. They make me sick to my stomach.

How do you make the home brew?

I've always just bought the Sawyer's brand and used that. I thought we had some for this weekend but it ended up being an empty bottle that for some reason didnt get thrown away.

I use the Gordons brand from Tractor Supply. They have an 8oz bottle also. I mix a healthy one ounce(probably closer to 1.5 ounces) of the permethrin to 12 ounces of water. The permethrin bottle has a measuring device on the bottle.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-premise-spray-1-qt

Last edited:
If I remember correctly from last year, one ounce of the 10% mixed with 20 ounces of water would give you the .5% mixture like Sawyers, but I prefer it to be a little stronger. I hate those little #$%*&@'s

X1000. The ticks that attached to my pants below my knee would start crawling towards my knee but none of them never made it above my knee. You are right about them spacing out. They were crawling and then they stoppped, it was like they were dazed. Then they would wiggle their front legs and poof, over backwards they went:cool:

I probbaly over do it with the ratio. I mix one ounce of the 10% permethrin with 12 ounces of water.

Screen name Landowner, who gave me the recipe said a bug reacted to permathrin like people do to LSD. It spaces them out til they OD.
I get the stuff for spray also. It's in the horse section at tractor supply to make fly spray. Cheapest place I've found.

I should really take ticks more seriously. I use DEET spray more often and Permethrin on my clothes less often. Never had a tick attached to me that I know of. My dad usually gets one a year and my daughter had a couple two years ago.

I get the stuff for spray also. It's in the horse section at tractor supply to make fly spray. Cheapest place I've found.

Yep, and a 12oz bottle of Sawyers is around $15. If you bought the quart of permethrin from TSC you could make around 340 ounces for just under $18 @1.5 ounces in 16 ounces of water. Bill, what kind of rate are you mixing your homebrew at?

Yep, and a 12oz bottle of Sawyers is around $15. If you bought the quart of permethrin from TSC you could make around 340 ounces for just under $18 @1.5 ounces in 16 ounces of water. Bill, what kind of rate are you mixing your homebrew at?

Probably closer to your mix. I have 1oz perm to 20 oz water written on the bottle. But I never put 20 oz of water in. More like 15 oz.

Here is another trick I learned at the house on the farm. When the stinking fruit flies get bad I spray my window screens with it. Really cuts down on how many fruit flies are in the kitchen.

Probably closer to your mix. I have 1oz perm to 20 oz water written on the bottle. But I never put 20 oz of water in. More like 15 oz.

Here is another trick I learned at the house on the farm. When the stinking fruit flies get bad I spray my window screens with it. Really cuts down on how many fruit flies are in the kitchen.

I always figured it was better to be closer to the 1% final mixture instead of battling Lymes.

20160314_102001.jpg
I use the Gordons brand from Tractor Supply. They have an 8oz bottle also. I mix a healthy one ounce(probably closer to 1.5 ounces) of the permethrin to 12 ounces of water. The permethrin bottle has a measuring device on the bottle.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/gordons-permethrin-10-livestock-premise-spray-1-qt

Thanks! Picked up some today.

20160314_102001.jpg

Last edited:
I apologize for the large picture. I didn't realize it was that big and it doesn't let me edit it to the thumbnail size.

Yep. The 8oz at TSC was $6.99. I debated getting that but went with the larger size. I figured I'd make use of it.

I commented and then saw that you saw the difference. :)