All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thumbs up for Grafting!

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
Every dang year........................

qbU9pA1.jpg

I got a good one this year too! Wounds heal, just like our grafts!

I got my annual cut/blood letting in on the first one I tried this year! You would think by now I wouldn't be surprised -

I was top working a couple higher branches on a third leaf tree and should have brought a small step ladder...I bled like a hog. Probably messed the grafts up.

I was top working a couple higher branches on a third leaf tree and should have brought a small step ladder...I bled like a hog. Probably messed the grafts up.
Ya.... I can relate - I cut a stick of scion off of a tree and was going to field graft it to a sucker coming off the base of the trunk. Made the first whip cut on the scion and did the same thing - right into my thumb. The part that really sucked was as I was dripping blood everywhere I knelt down and made the cut on the sucker only to find that it was dead wood. Go figure...

I think you taped over the chip bud too much, can't see the bud ya grafted in there between the electrical tape..........

I cut myself in the shop last fall bad enough that I figured after calling my SIL that is a nurse that I should go to the doctor for stitches the next day. Wrapped it well in paper towels and electric tape, when I walked into the doctors office the next day everyone working there from the receptionist to the nurse knew right away what I had done. Said they figured guys with cuts kept the duct and electric tape companies in business!:emoji_grin:

TC - ^^^^ As an electrician, I keep a roll of white electrical tape just for wrapping cuts !! True. I've patched myself on several occasions. :emoji_anguished:

Cleft all the way!

Should I be looking at whip and tongue or cleft graft for this one?
8948a762ca2a7d7cd8b5c72e15a6567d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont know which to choose for you --- but, you only got 3 more chances to get it right !!!

Should I be looking at whip and tongue or cleft graft for this one?
8948a762ca2a7d7cd8b5c72e15a6567d.jpg

I dont know which to choose for you --- but, you only got 3 more chances to get it right !!!

Wrong, I got nine more chances!

2e45d8480b9ebff19ab14e3eef3ff587.jpg

Somebody hide Bur's knives !! ^^^^^

Punched out 100 grafts tonight with nary scratch... but I had med truck on stand-by.....

I've got a dozen short pieces of scion left over that Im going to field graft - leftovers from my grin order and tonight's grafting, then I too am done,... DONE for the year.IMG_2663.JPG