Thorny Pig Weed Seed Heads

The problem is you can't mow it short enough. It'll just set seed below your mower height. But you will eliminate the big 6 footers that put hundreds of thousands of seed out. You could also think about the dicamba Extend beans or the 24d Enlist ones. Keep your sprayers going when the pigweeds are small. They're too hard to kill when they start to get big.
I was just getting ready to say the same thing. Ya beat me to it! I have some pigweed in my driveway... you cant' mow it short enough, drive on it enough, or spray enough gly on it to kill it. The stuff survives everything that doesn't kill it!

My pigweed battle story.

Went to seed few years back. Followng year came back. I seeded clover into brassicas in the fall and frost seeded clover in the spring. No pig weed seen for a year. Let clover grow year 2 this year and mowed once and killed off. Early July Broadcasted brassica seed and fertilzer and lightly drug plot and cultipacked. (Had 3pt tiller but didnt use it) Looked good and this mid August here comes the pig weed hardcore..... Took weed whacker to pigweed and threw out rye and 46-0-0. Lots of brassicas so i didnt want to give up.
Labor day weekend roto tilled under a 1/4 of the plot and did winter rye.

On going battle..... Next spring im thinking oats and 24d and planting oats rye/peas brassicas in August not July... Plot next to this turned out good.

And to think pigweed is only in plots I found it on a trail I mowed and sprayed last year.. Didnt touch that trail for a year do to downed tree. Seen it by a fence gate and by in laws mailbox.

Question I ask my plotting friends is was this pigweed around 5 to 10 years ago? Or we just are more in tune with whats coming out the dirt.

I got this stuff really bad now in a plot too. It seems like when I spray the plot, it appears. I can spray it but it just comes right back. I think if came with a generic bag of beans I tried planting.

I have been having decent luck with 2,4-d on the pigweed. You could plant corn next year and use 2,4-d also. I did get 4 bags of liberty beans this year for really cheap, so I'll be trying that method in my plots at home.

My pigweed battle story.

Went to seed few years back. Followng year came back. I seeded clover into brassicas in the fall and frost seeded clover in the spring. No pig weed seen for a year. Let clover grow year 2 this year and mowed once and killed off. Early July Broadcasted brassica seed and fertilzer and lightly drug plot and cultipacked. (Had 3pt tiller but didnt use it) Looked good and this mid August here comes the pig weed hardcore..... Took weed whacker to pigweed and threw out rye and 46-0-0. Lots of brassicas so i didnt want to give up.

On going battle..... Next spring im thinking oats and 24d and planting oats rye/peas brassicas in August not July... Plot next to this turned out good.

And to think pigweed is only in plots I found it on a trail I mowed and sprayed last year.. Didnt touch that trail for a year do to downed tree. Seen it by a fence gate and by in laws mailbox.

Question I ask my plotting friends is was this pigweed around 5 to 10 years ago? Or we just are more in tune with whats coming out the dirt.
You had a full growing season where you didn't have any pigweed when you switched to clover?

My pigweed battle story.

I don't think we are any more in tune. In fact, if you've ever spent time with an old timer who farmed during the 40's or earlier you might be surprised at what they know and we don't. Growing for survival teaches a guy a lot. I honestly think if I had pigweed take over a plot 10yrs ago I would have noticed. It's not that the species didn't exist then, it just wasn't immune to herbicides at the time so it wasn't relevant. Now if you have it in a plot and spray all you do is remove competition for it and let it mass produce. It's a slippery slope that gets steep quick!

Back then, the hoe was the popular herbicide of the day. It was non-discriminating on species of weeds. Thank goodness I am young enough to Only Have Spent A couple of days chopping cotton.
I can remember my dad bringing truckloads of workers out every morning to hoe cotton in the season. This would have been late sixties and early seventies.

You had a full growing season where you didn't have any pigweed when you switched to clover?
When i overseeded red clover in fall and frost seeded the heck outta it (double the normal rate) i didnt have any pigweed. Mowed plot for a year and when i started to scratch the soil pigweed came back.

In my primary 6 acre plot I plant 3 acres of corn and 3 acres of beans. Each fall I overseed the beans with winter rye. Using a Kasco Drill the following spring I can Drill corn into the bean stumble but I have to shallow till the corn stumble to plant beans. This year was my first year with the Kasco Drill so my seed rate is light so I had allot of sun hitting the soil where I planted beans. I have very little pigweed in my corn where I had rye thatch covering the ground but I had and allot of pigweed in my beans. Next spring I will be planting my beans in narrow rows (7" compared to 14") and at a very high seed rate. I want my beans to canopy as fast as possible to help minimize bare soil and pigweed.