All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thinking about liming my plots in September... northern Wisconsin

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
Ok, I'm gonna take the plunge and lime some of my foodplots. I haven't done much of it yet in my life. Will I damage my crop by liming and if so, how? I know I have to run it over to spread the lime with my drop spreader, but I'm not worried to much about that.

I will be buying bagged Fine lime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What crops do you have?

What crops do you have?

Clover, rye and some beans. Beans were planted late as part of the LC mix.

I always did my liming in the spring.

Fall should be fine.

The term "never too late to lime" has always rung true with me, unless your ph is at 7.

Lime when you can, as it takes about 6 months to fully neutralize the soil but do it only after a soil test. A soil test will give you the exact amount of lime you need for the crop that you plan to plant. A soil test will save you money by only applying what is required and it will also recommend the right amount of fertilizer for your intended crops. Lime can be applied anytime but definitely have soil tests done on each plot to save time, money and to know what your soil is saying to you. By the way, drop spreaders aren't good at putting out ag lime. The powder is too fine and it will clog really easily. If you use dry pelletized lime, it may handle that. If your plots aren't too big, open the ag lime bag and sling it by hand.

Last edited:
Lime when you can, as it takes about 6 months to fully neutralize the soil but do it only after a soil test. A soil test will give you the exact amount of lime you need for the crop that you plan to plant. A soil test will save you money by only applying what is required and it will also recommend the right amount of fertilizer for your intended crops. Lime can be applied anytime but definitely have soil tests done on each plot to save time, money and to know what your soil is saying to you. By the way, drop spreaders aren't good at putting out ag lime. The powder is too fine and it will clog really easily. If you use dry pelletized lime, it may handle that. If your plots aren't too big, open the ag lime bag and sling it by hand.

I can get the coarse ag lime for $40 a ton and $40 delivery charge.

The plot that you see to the left, in the avatar, was limed with ag lime. I picked the lime up on a trailer from my local coop and spread it with shovels. A buddy and me could off load a ton in about 30 minutes. $40 dollars a ton is a good price for bulk ag lime. Do your soil test ASAP, making sure you specify what you plan on planting. For most crops you need a PH of 6 to 6.5.

I can get the coarse ag lime for $40 a ton and $40 delivery charge.

My coop's prices are similar but there is a minimum order for delivery, I think it is 20 tons