thin or hinge cedars?

EarthySpirit

5 year old buck +
I have a couple ridges of tall cedars that have outgrown their cover value. YOu can see through them for 100 yards. I want to create more browse cover here by either thinning or hinging. Do you have recomendations? Should I just take our blocks of them and let other stuff grow, or hinge areas and let whatever sun hits the ground there encourage growth. The reason I was considering the latter is that it would provide something on the ground that breaks up the terrain so you cannot see so far, might enrouage more travel, but it would also open up the canopy. These areas are just useless. Deer don't even use them for thermals because of their height. I want this land to be used for either food or cover, or at least travel corridors. thanks for any advice.

Cedars have a high mortality rate when you hinge them. Some will survive but some will die. Either way it will help, a dead cedar is cover. Also a great spot to poke in a cutting or seedling. The cedar skeleton acts as a tree tube.

On the map below, the two green ovals toward the top, on these two ridges are places that were cleared 6 weeks ago for plots I will plant this spring, it is the cedars which surround these plots on these two ridges I'm asking about. thanks!

1516301736263.png

I'd cut a bunch and see what fills in. I'd be willing to bet you get natural cedar seedlings coming in. Great cover before they loose the lower limbs. If you cut some now the deer should start eating the tops you put on the ground. They love red cedar tops around me.

They look big from the pic. I doubt many will survive a hinge cut. But again just the skeleton on the ground is cover for a while.

I woul drop them and let them lay. Position them as you like to create a funnel, but not a road, sort of feather them in, so they can lay in between them, but makes a guided trail to where you want them to go.

Really need to see what it looks like at ground level.I have seen a couple places that were so thick with cedars that you had to crawl through but it was filled with deer.If you get good growth in your open areas then maybe cut some out but I bet if the cedars grow like that it's because of type of soil.I try to plant my cedars to create north wind blocks and grow NWSG on the south side for bedding.You might clear a area and frost seed some NWSG and see if it grows alright.You have a problem that can be good to have

Really need to see what it looks like at ground level.I have seen a couple places that were so thick with cedars that you had to crawl through but it was filled with deer.If you get good growth in your open areas then maybe cut some out but I bet if the cedars grow like that it's because of type of soil.I try to plant my cedars to create north wind blocks and grow NWSG on the south side for bedding.You might clear a area and frost seed some NWSG and see if it grows alright.You have a problem that can be good to have

Thanks for idea. What is NWSG?

Can you sell them? Cedar is expensive. Maybe it could bring you a little cash boost.

Here is a representative picture from ground level. You see how much you can see through. What little bit of undergrowth you see there dies off in summer, and you can see for quite a ways through the cedars.

1516358429296.png

Can you sell them? Cedar is expensive. Maybe it could bring you a little cash boost.

I've checked into that, the market is not there for them. I can't get much at all for them.

I woul drop them and let them lay. Position them as you like to create a funnel, but not a road, sort of feather them in, so they can lay in between them, but makes a guided trail to where you want them to go.
Thanks!. I like that idea!

Here is a representative picture from ground level. You see how much you can see through. What little bit of undergrowth you see there dies off in summer, and you can see for quite a ways through the cedars.

View attachment 16401

ad37c51e2881f1d3193940fe10e5c21a.jpg

Looks very similar.

Red cedar do not hinge. They do make good blockades that last for a long time. I might be able to get some pictures this weekend. When I have dropped red cedars or attempted to hinge them, buckthorn has really moved in.

b2c82a0509fe49bd7b3b48014eae9130.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ad37c51e2881f1d3193940fe10e5c21a.jpg

Looks very similar.

Red cedar do not hinge. They do make good blockades that last for a long time. I might be able to get some pictures this weekend. When I have dropped red cedars or attempted to hinge them, buckthorn has really moved in.

b2c82a0509fe49bd7b3b48014eae9130.jpg

Thanks Sandbur!! Mine are not red cedar. They are Eastern whites, which is actually not a cedar, but a juniper. I've tried hinging with only occasionally having luck. Usually they are too brittle to hold together. I really like your idea as blockades. Seeing what you've done and said, and from some other comments, I'm thinking about seriously thinning them out, pulling some out entirely and using them for screening or directing travel in other areas of my property, but leaving some to create cover, while letting whatever is opened up to fill in and create more cover in coming years. Thats what I'm leaning to at least so far. Thanks again!!

Thanks for idea. What is NWSG?

Native Warm Season Grass. Big and little Bluestem, Indian grass, Switch grass ect. Usually guys go with switch grass. CIR (cave in Rock) switchgrass is popular. But I have used both CIR and Don Higgins blend. I like Don's better and the price was comparable.

Last edited:
If I had white cedar and was going to be removing them i would without a doubt be building a cedar strip canoe or drift boat type craft out of them.

If the cedar grow well on the site I would essentially clear cut blocks of it and re-plant with plugs if you can find them. I think you could easily turn these areas into bedding areas in a few years....just make sure you put them where you want them. You could also create travel areas in the same manner....as the deer will try to follow the thicker cover as they move. Use the downed trees to create visual barriers and some brush piles for the rabbits and the like as well. You could even cut 3 or every 4 and just let mother nature do her thing as well. All depends on how involved you want to be. Might consider keeping a few in a small cluster in spots where the terrain creates funnels for you.....may be a great way to hide a stand.

Mature white cedar stands are important wintering areas in the north country and are hard if not impossible to regrow. I would not remove very many, perhaps a few strips for hardwood browsing areas.

If used for wintering, protect them.

View attachment 16401

Are you sure those are white cedar?

Are you sure those are white cedar?

Actually, you're right. They are Eastern Red Cedars, or Juniperus Virginiana

I have a few natural openings in my cedar woods. This is sandy low pH soil. I plant rye patches in them with just a bit of oats.
2c3ce8d264d2b2e5d981117ffb0febec.jpg

I can’t grow any decent grasses on this light soil. Heavier soils are different.