All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thicket Crab from Morse Nursery

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
Has anyone planted any of these from Morse Nursery out of Michigan? I've ordered from him every year for the past 5 years, but never got this shrub. I was curious to get feedback from it.

Morse Nursery ... the ping pong ball & goldfish game at the carnival of the habitat world ... ask ole Charlie for the tree classification (species - sub-species name) so you can understand what you are getting ... good luck ...

I'm nearly certain it is a roselow sargent crab. A good friend used roselows to create a hedge along one of his sanctuaries on probably 8' spacing. It's 15+ years old now and pretty impressive.

Last edited:
Look at Midwest Crab from cold stream nursery. I planted some three years ago and will be planting more this year. They are a true shrub crab. I used them for hedge rows but should make a great thicket. They grow fast too, and nothing grows fast for me.

Do they need protection; tubes or cages?
Will the deer hammer them like a regular fruit tree?
Do they produce fruit and what size?

I personally look at the fruit size of crabapples first. I would want the bigger ones if at all possible. When I think "crab apple" I think of a soft mast food source for deer, but the OP may have other uses in mind. These larger ones I would think would be of more interest to deer as a food source. The smaller ones seem to be more for birds and smaller critters. The roselow sargent crab appears to have pretty small fruit (like what I typically see in ornamental crabs) from what I have seen on the interwebs. It does have a shrub growth pattern that may be of interest for other reasons vs a more traditional tree form. The shrub form and the smaller fruit may be great for game birds and other fury critters in the woods. All depends on the intended use/application.

Thx for replies.

I bought from Morse once. His hybrid pear is doing well - crabs not so much. Once and done.

I've only ordered shrubs from him over the years. I was just curious about that thicket crab . I've been pleased with the purchases or shrubs . I order all my trees from Cummins and ACN.

Do they need protection; tubes or cages?
Will the deer hammer them like a regular fruit tree?
Do they produce fruit and what size?
Not sure if this was directed at the Midwest Crab but here goes.
They were 6-12" when I planted them. They grew out of the tubes thier first year. I removed tubes spring of second year and they grew great and unbrowsed until October. Then they got hit hard in short order. I put three foot cages on and they rebounded this year. I am switching my 6' cages to them as my other trees don't need them. No fruit yet but is in the 1/4" size but is consumed by critters.

Not sure if this was directed at the Midwest Crab but here goes.
They were 6-12" when I planted them. They grew out of the tubes thier first year. I removed tubes spring of second year and they grew great and unbrowsed until October. Then they got hit hard in short order. I put three foot cages on and they rebounded this year. I am switching my 6' cages to them as my other trees don't need them. No fruit yet but is in the 1/4" size but is consumed by critters.
It was directed towards the shrub crabs in general.
Thanks for the info!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Morse Nursery ... the ping pong ball & goldfish game at the carnival of the habitat world ... ask ole Charlie for the tree classification (species - sub-species name) so you can understand what you are getting ... good luck ...
And good luck with that!