All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tent Caterpillar Eggs?

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
I found about 15 of these today while pruning my 125ish fruit trees. I removed them all and from what google is showing me it does look like tent caterpillar eggs.

cf7e8498abd7192683ca61afcb5ebe42.jpg
e278e4f777c7b87331deeefe40e694c8.jpg
f
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, tent cat egg masses for sure

Yes, for sure

Glad you found them early.

I remember as a kid driving around in spring, cutting tents off trees and bringing them to a big bonfire of other sticks loaded with tents, good times.

Now elaborate Ed since your good with the trees. If we see these now, how do we go about getting rid of them ? Just hand pick them off a tree and throw them in a bag? Now that you have them now and confirmed they are tent cat masses , what else will you do differently this spring, summer and fall than if you hadn’t had any? Just trying to learn something . Thx

So we typically find a few tents per season, less than 10 a season for sure. I'll be honest, I've gotten away from spraying since I started planting fruit trees. If I do spray it's typically reactionary spraying. I dont have time to do it, and, I just don't like spraying the chemicals into the environment. We spend a lot of time establishing native wildflowers and plants and pollinator habitat in general, so I feel spraying goes against one of our primary habitat goals. I have focused on disease resistant varieties and this is a wild life orchard, I dont really care what the fruit looks like.

I wouldn't mind looking into a more earth friendly spraying program if one exists and I find more time in my busy schedule, but frankly i just dont see that happening anytime soon.

For now, I cut them out where possible or scraped them off. Ideally i would have hauled them off and burned them, but there was close to 14" of snow on the ground so nothing was easy yesterday, I just tossed them on the ground. Hopefully they turkeys and other migratory birds find them and eat them if / when they hatch.

Thx Ed. I like the pics so I know how to identify now.

If a guy can dip the pods in a jug of vegetable oil, that smothers the eggs. Once they hatch, I have a sprayer to kill them, but if I am driving around and spot a brand new test forming, I spray the young ones with a can of DEET mosquito repellent. It knocks them dead in under a minute. I have had bad experience though if any DEET gets on apple tree leaves.