Tax assessment question

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
Does anyone know how an assessor would determine whether someone is actively farm or not? I have a friend who's property tax doubled on his land because they classified it as Rec land vs ag because they determined he is not actively farming. It seems to me they are guessing quite a bit on that and am curious if anyone had any info?

The town(on their own) switched my friends 40 acres to all ag a few years ago because he planted 6 acres of corn next to the road. His taxes $338, mine $998 for one of my forty's.

It's all area specific I would guess. around here you need to prove half of your income derived from farming.

Half? Wow seems like a lot. I have heard aerials but the land is being planted so just curious on how they are sling their decision.

Yep half. I'm sure there are people that get around it somehow but I haven't figured out a way yet. I look at the assessed value of properties around the area all the time on the County GIS and everything is assessed as rural vacant. The only people I see with ag exemptions are the Amish and some big farms. The ag exemption here is 50%.

It all depends on the state and sometimes the county. In WI ag land has low taxes but upland forest has a high tax rate. Woodlands classified on the DNR's website as wetlands are taxed somewhere in between (at least in Rusk County). But don't expect the tax guy to give you a break - I've found that they raise your taxes first and then let you dispute their findings later.

We live on our 40 acres in MN and the taxes are much lower if classified as ag homestead versus anything else. To qualify, you need 10 acres in ag production. The county gets pretty picky on what qualifies though, but to save $1000 in taxes it's worth renting out a little more cropland to a neighboring farmer.

My township he come out and walks the property. Every assessor is different.

Once we are on the topic of assessors. If someone just bought land, say 80 acres, well below the (governments) assessed value, shouldn't the assessment go down?
I know assessments go up when property is purchased over assessed value, so the door should swing both ways.

Once we are on the topic of assessors. If someone just bought land, say 80 acres, well below the (governments) assessed value, shouldn't the assessment go down?
I know assessments go up when property is purchased over assessed value, so the door should swing both ways.

No.... Assessments and purchase prices are not related.... If a family member owned a property and "sold" it to you for $1 should the assessment go to $1? ..... Your best bet is to go speak with the assessor, find out how the assessment is figured and discuss things with him/her....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No.... Assessments and purchase prices are not related.... If a family member owned a property and "sold" it to you for $1 should the assessment go to $1? ..... Your best bet is to go speak with the assessor, find out how the assessment is figured and discuss things with him/her....
I know they have considered purchase price in assessed value. Been on the recieving end of that already. Now that was a different township. a meeting with the assessor is at the top of my list, before surveyor and forester. $2200 for taxes on one 40 in 2012o_O waupaca county rec land taxes are awesome!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In our county they tried that but were really late and the rec land price had dropped some.I have helped get several properties off rec taxes by getting a forestry plan done or planting walnut and marking wolf trees for cutting.Also here in Kansas timber harvest history counts as ag as does CRP so adding all those factors my land is 100 % ag since I rent out what is left after CRP and woods