Switch grass planted in last years rye

westonwhitetail

5 year old buck +
I’m in west central Wisconsin and we still have 2 feet of snow here but I want to establish some switch in a couple food plots from last year.

One plot was turnips so I plan to broadcast switch over the snow soon and let it frost seed as the snow melts. I believe this plot would be fairly weed free to start. Should I gly and atrazine before germination or will it be ok without?

The other plot was rye oats and clover. The rye will come back this spring, should I spray and kill it or let it naturally die off with the switch filling in over the summer as it establishes? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As for planting into the turnip plot you should be good. At the very least I would recommend the atrazine as a pre emergent for warm season weeds. I would do gly also as its not that pricey.

As for the planting into rye??? I asked Paul Knox that same question years ago because rye has an allelopathic effect on some weeds. Wasn't sure if it would hurt the switch or not. Paul didn't know as he never tried. Rye has been proven to reduce corn yields and corn is a grass so I never tried it. It may very well work for you but just wanted to throw the ? / potential out there.

Thank you Bill, I’ll do that in the turnips.

I was hoping the weed allelopathic effect would help hold back weeds while the switch comes in but didn’t think about it hurting the switch. Maybe I spray it the same as the turnips just in case...or just try it and be a genuine pig?

As for planting into the turnip plot you should be good. At the very least I would recommend the atrazine as a pre emergent for warm season weeds. I would do gly also as its not that pricey.

As for the planting into rye??? I asked Paul Know that same question years ago because rye has an allelopathic effect on some weeds. Wasn't sure if it would hurt the switch or not. Paul didn't know as he never tried. Rye has been proven to reduce corn yields and corn is a grass so I never tried it. It may very well work for you but just wanted to throw the ? / potential out there.

Bill I agree with your concerns. Rye is supposed to suppress grasses. Would be concerned with its effect on SG.

Thank you Bill, I’ll do that in the turnips.

I was hoping the weed allelopathic effect would help hold back weeds while the switch comes in but didn’t think about it hurting the switch. Maybe I spray it the same as the turnips just in case...or just try it and be a genuine pig?

Weston ... per comments above, Let the rye plot come up them terminate with gly in June. Over seed with turnips, clover, & rape for fall. Then spread SG grass this winter. Hopefully you bet the benefit of the rye alleopathic effect.

Weston ... per comments above, Let the rye plot come up them terminate with gly in June. Over seed with turnips, clover, & rape for fall. Then spread SG grass this winter. Hopefully you bet the benefit of the rye alleopathic effect.
I agree, unless you want to experiment. Spraying won't help "If" rye would hurt the switch. The decomposing rye actually adds to its allopathic nature.

Forgive my spelling :).

I agree, unless you want to experiment. Spraying won't help "If" rye would hurt the switch. The decomposing rye actually adds to its allopathic nature.

Forgive my spelling :).

Thanks, thought the alleopathic effect was from the active roots.

Thanks, thought the alleopathic effect was from the active roots.

I believe it is both but remember reading even the decaying grass also cause it.

Thank for the input Treet Spud and Bill. I'm going to think about it some. I may try it in the rye and see what happens. If I have bad results, I can plant the turnps clover and rape in august and then try the switch again next year.

I've been thinking on this. I bet you would be ok. Studies show reduced corn production but not zero corn. I wouldn't plant 10 acres with out knowing for sure but I wouldn't be afraid to try a small area.

I've been thinking on this. I bet you would be ok. Studies show reduced corn production but not zero corn. I wouldn't plant 10 acres with out knowing for sure but I wouldn't be afraid to try a small area.

It is a small area so I think I’ll go for it, I have enough seed for both. I won’t be out much and maybe I’ll learn something for a bigger stand someday

I’m trying a strip of this along the edge of my rye this spring, mostly because I had enough seed to make one more pass with the bag seeder. My plan is to mow this area after the rye heads out, but because it’s not planted heavily along this margin, I may just let it go and see what happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"I've been thinking on this. I bet you would be ok. Studies show reduced corn production but not zero corn. I wouldn't plant 10 acres with out knowing for sure but I wouldn't be afraid to try a small area."

You learn something new everyday, I wasn't aware of that there was a draw back to rye as a cover crop between corn plantings other than sub soil water consumption pros and cons. Seems to be a little controversy - more on when to burn the rye back but good info, caused me to do some extra reading and gain some obviously needed knowledge. Thanks

https://crops.extension.iastate.edu/cropnews/2014/04/cereal-rye-cover-crops-allelopathy-and-corn

https://cropwatch.unl.edu/kill-cereal-rye-early-avoid-problems-its-allelopathic-effect

https://webapp.agron.ksu.edu/agr_social/eu_article.throck?article_id=325

"I've been thinking on this. I bet you would be ok. Studies show reduced corn production but not zero corn. I wouldn't plant 10 acres with out knowing for sure but I wouldn't be afraid to try a small area."

You learn something new everyday, I wasn't aware of that there was a draw back to rye as a cover crop between corn plantings other than sub soil water consumption pros and cons. Seems to be a little controversy - more on when to burn the rye back but good info, caused me to do some extra reading and gain some obviously needed knowledge. Thanks

https://crops.extension.iastate.edu/cropnews/2014/04/cereal-rye-cover-crops-allelopathy-and-corn

https://cropwatch.unl.edu/kill-cereal-rye-early-avoid-problems-its-allelopathic-effect

https://webapp.agron.ksu.edu/agr_social/eu_article.throck?article_id=325

Now you've got me thinking ... on one 15 acre parcel we had it rented out for 2 years.

Year 1 - Farmer planted corn, harvested, then winter rye as a fall cover crop.

Year 2 - Following summer harvested rye seed, tilled straw under, then planted winter wheat as fall cover crop.

Year 3 - I frost seeded for CIR switch grass in February. WW re-merged then died off as summer progressed. The SG emerged early summer and some reached 3' tall. My belief was that the SG was a bit stunted as the wheat had the jump start on moisture & nutrients.

It will be interesting to see how the SG does this year.

I will try to share my results good bad or ugly.

I picked up seed the other day and got some big blue stem as well. Has anyone done a mix with big blue stem and switch? From what I've read big blue is taller, more like 6' and you can mix switch and big blue at 4lbs per acre each. Planting in the same manner as switch alone.

I thought a little more height may be nice so deer cant see across to the other side.

I picked up seed the other day and got some big blue stem as well. Has anyone done a mix with big blue stem and switch? From what I've read big blue is taller, more like 6' and you can mix switch and big blue at 4lbs per acre each. Planting in the same manner as switch alone.

I thought a little more height may be nice so deer cant see across to the other side.
I have mixed Big blue, Indian and CIR, my experience is the Big blue and Indian do not stand up like the switch does in late fall/winter. Also eventually the switch will take over the and you'l have very little Big blue and Indian. I have separate fields of the Big blue and Indian just because I like them and Iv'e also planted some partridge pea in with them.

I have mixed Big blue, Indian and CIR, my experience is the Big blue and Indian do not stand up like the switch does in late fall/winter. Also eventually the switch will take over the and you'l have very little Big blue and Indian. I have separate fields of the Big blue and Indian just because I like them and Iv'e also planted some partridge pea in with them.

I just seeded it today, I already had the seed so I mixed about 60/40 switch to big blue. Good information to know though, thank you. I won’t mind if the switch takes over over time, but I’d like to see it now and maybe do a pure stand of big blue in the future