Switch Grass Plan and Questions

chucker66

5 year old buck +
I am planning for a few areas on my property to plant some switch in the spring of 2020. Both of these areas are around ponds and full of "swamp grass" that falls down with the first snowflake. My plan is to burn this off early next spring and then spray with Gly anything that's green. I will then disc it and leave it set for a few more weeks and spray again. Depending on time I might put oats in for a fall food source. I then plan to frost seed in early spring 2020 as the oats will be dead. I was looking at Cave In Rock but I came across RWWP Switch. Has anyone tried RWWP Switch and what were your results? Also, what are your thoughts on the rest of my plan? Both of these spots are only about 1 acre so its not a huge investment but it is a bit of work.

Chuck

I've had good luck prepping the area the summer/fall before with 2-3 sprayings of gly, I've never disced up the area but I think it would work if you stay ahead of the weed/grasses. As far as the switch seed itself goes I've used CIR and Kanlow from Ernst seed and had good luck. The first couple years you might think you have a failure but just be patient and by years 3 and 4 it should really take off.

I have Real World switchgrass... As long as you can get it established - you will be fine. When I put mine in I prepped thru the spring with spraying and working the soil to reduce the seed bank and then more spraying. We drilled mine in the late summer. It germinated and I did what I could to control weeds, but I thought I had lost it to the foxtail. I burned the foxtail that winter in hopes to give the switch a jump in the spring. It rebounded well. I have been pretty happy ever since. My grass itself will get to five feet tall (not counting the seed heads). I allow many natural forbs and the like to grow in it as well now. I like the diversity of doing that. I have seen the deer use it more when it's more scattered vs really thick and dense. I see the deer prefer to bed along it's edges as well. Mine is good at hiding deer but not so good at hiding a hunter. So if your after a screen so deer don't see you - you may want something even taller. Mine also tends to stands well thru the winter, but I don't have near the winter that you will either. I also have not seen the aggressive nature of switchgrass that some claim. It may compete against other native grasses, but I have not seen it show up on strange places or "creep". Mine thus far has stayed right where it's planted. Deer like edges...so don't just plant a sea of the same as it will be far less wildlife friendly in my opinion.

Be very careful which variety you choose in far northern zones like 3b. Long term winter survival can be an issue with germplasm's that are not well adapted to extreme northern climates. Also keep in mind, switchgrass is particular about how far out of it's natural adaptation zone it will thrive, from not only north and south, but east to west as well. I have a map that somewhat shows this, but it is on my home computer and I do not have access to it at work. The closer you are to the zone of origin for any specific germplasm, the better it will do over the long term. See the chart below for some more info. I will post more info if I can hunt it down. Given they are native to North and South Dakota, look into Sunburst, Forestburg, and Dakota, as they may be better adapted to 3b as opposed to something like CIR(Southern IL) or Kanlow(Central OK). Being in WI, have you checked out WS4U and WS8U, which were both bred at UW. They are both upland ecotypes and are typically a bit shorter than the lowland types like Kanlow, but they will survive far northern winter conditions far better than a lowland type. The "hot" new variety is Liberty switchgrass. It is a cross between Summer(Upland ecotype) and Kanlow(lowland ecotype). It has been field tested and proven to thrive as far north as Spooner, WI. Seed would be very hard to get right now though, as it's sale is controlled to prevent cross contamination for biofuel crops.

switch.PNG

My 12 acre prairie is in Portage county Central WI. I bought my switchgrass from Prairie nursery in Westfield WI. It was switchgrass that was specific for my location. I do not remember the name of it as it was 25 years ago it was planted. It has prospered as has the rest of my prairie. So get what will grow on your land.
You also need to be patient as was mentioned. For the first two into the third year I thought I had wasted my money and time on the planting. Then it took off and has been going strong ever since.

I wouldn't disc,how are you planting?broadcasting or drilling

Thanks for all the responses I am planning to broadcast.

I am planning for a few areas on my property to plant some switch in the spring of 2020. Both of these areas are around ponds and full of "swamp grass" that falls down with the first snowflake. My plan is to burn this off early next spring and then spray with Gly anything that's green. I will then disc it and leave it set for a few more weeks and spray again. Depending on time I might put oats in for a fall food source. I then plan to frost seed in early spring 2020 as the oats will be dead. I was looking at Cave In Rock but I came across RWWP Switch. Has anyone tried RWWP Switch and what were your results? Also, what are your thoughts on the rest of my plan? Both of these spots are only about 1 acre so its not a huge investment but it is a bit of work.

Chuck
you plan sounds good. Burn idea is good.

Couple ideas. You mention "swamp grass". check for important forbs, pollinators and other native plants in that grass before spraying. Swamp milkweed, dogbane, monarda and others are commonly found in wet areas. They are important for insects and animals. Just know what you are spraying. Next, I have had better luck seeding SG in the fall. Third, someone else mentioned that animals prefer the edges of SG and I agree. Create paths and edges rather than 1 big plot. If I have no contours to follow, I will leave a 20-30' path at intermittent distances between each path but all the way through my patches.

Last edited:
The swamp grass you mention that flattens out as soon as it hears a snowflake is likely reed canary grass. Nasty stuff to compete with. Seeing it is a grass, you can't spray it away after your switch gets going. I would be very concerned about the switch being able to compete with it to get established. Hopefully someone here has some ideas. I can tell you from personal experience that the seed bank in reed canary grass lasts a lifetime. I'm about 10 years into choking some of it out with trees, it's been a long difficult process.

Good luck with whatever you do!

-John

I agree with John ^^^ reed canary grass will out complete SG as it spreads by both seed & rhizomes. It will form a dense mat in the upper soil. Gets 3'-5' tall and in winter the snow will lay it down covering everything. The issue becomes that as SG is a warm season grass & RCG is a cold season grass, the dead RCG grass will not allow sun to the soil. RCG will emerge 1st and take over.

I have had some success controlling & eliminating RCG but it takes 1 to 2 seasons. Spray GLY on initial green up emergence, spray 2nd emergence. Then you may want to disc to turn over dead RCG and get more emergence out of the seed bank. Following year I did 3 GLY sprayings. Mid to late of second summer you should have a feel for how resilient the RCG still is an weather you want to plant SG.

One other herbicide to consider is a fall pre-emergent spraying. Something that acts with soil contact and will kill the seeds.

If you have RCG, really need to get a handle on that first. Good luck!

If RCG is cool season, spray it with glyphosate while the switch is still dormant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I am pretty sure its RCG and it does seem pretty thick. I will work on trying to kill that off as much as I can before starting SG. There really not much else growing in it

Chuck