Switch grass in 2018.....

FE4EA9F5-BF1B-4E5D-AF3C-DD7435A4758B.jpegA2475680-5B8D-4F68-B248-BA3013A45240.jpegF16F0C08-A85B-4C38-B12D-C61923E97DDB.jpeg
Here are a few pictures. These are the better looking areas but you can see foxtail in the background. The entire area was supposed to be switch. There are other weeds besides the foxtail. I still feel like I should mow, spray, and reseed some of it.

Did you mow first? I have sections that look okay then I have sections that are dominated by weeds.

Yes I mowed in like march just to knock Down the the dead weeds. Came back after green up and hit it with gly and atrazine (Simazine)

Here are a few pictures. These are the better looking areas but you can see foxtail in the background. The entire area was supposed to be switch. There are other weeds besides the foxtail. I still feel like I should mow, spray, and reseed some of it.

For year one that's an extreme success....

Remember, the first few years switch is putting down roots up to 10 foot deep so it's growing down as well as up.

View attachment 20692View attachment 20693View attachment 20694
Try spraying the foxtail areas with quinclorac after green up. Atrazine is weak on foxtail. You may be surprised how the switch will take off.

Try spraying the foxtail areas with quinclorac after green up. Atrazine is weak on foxtail. You may be surprised how the switch will take off.
I want to overseed the area with more Kanlow. Some of the first year Kanlow is over 6’ tall. I feel like I read something about Quinclorac and new seedlings but not quite sure. Now that some of the foxtail is dying off the switch is a lot stronger than I originally thought.

I am debating about mowing it down or trying to leave it up and spray it.

Ive got 12 lbs of CIR and 3 lbs of Kanlow to plant. First stop is this one.
20190120_143618.jpg

If it’s not snow covered I’d get it out now. If that photo is all the snow you have I’d be broadcasting away. It looks like you did some prep already.

Ive got 12 lbs of CIR and 3 lbs of Kanlow to plant. First stop is this one.

Only 15 lbs ... took you longer to write this message than to plant ...get r done!

Perfect ground before anymore snow flies to plant in.

Gonna try tomorrow. That area was browntop millet last year and I mowed it short then hit it with herbicide. Its alot of bare dirt with some short stubble. I should be able to easily mow it while waiting on the switchgrass to show. Ill eventually plant clear to the road 50 yards to the right. Want to do some experimenting since this stuff is so expensive.

Gonna try tomorrow. That area was browntop millet last year and I mowed it short then hit it with herbicide. Its alot of bare dirt with some short stubble. I should be able to easily mow it while waiting on the switchgrass to show. Ill eventually plant clear to the road 50 yards to the right. Want to do some experimenting since this stuff is so expensive.
Where did you purchase the seed? I found a source for $8/lb PLS.

Where did you purchase the seed? I found a source for $8/lb PLS.
Gostarseed.com
This was the one seed my co op couldnt get cheaper than I can buy off the internet.

The snow in the pic was gone in the rain yesterday morning. We got freezing rain in the evening, then about an inch of dry snow. I seeded it this morning. That powdery snow made it easy to see seeding rates. We will see what happens. I can easily mow that area.

How many ounces of Quinclorac per gallon of water do you use?

I was looking into using Quincloric but I couldn’t find a straight answer on what it would do to new emerging switch seedlings. I have a 2nd year stand that I overseeded with more Kanlow but has a Foxtail issue.

There were a few different measurements I found on the web when searching. .367 ounces per gallon was the most common one I found. There was another measurement for the DF version. One of the issues I had was there are a few lawn varieties available that clogged up the search.

I'm not sure I can answer your question exactly as I do my figures in a per acre basis. I believe the jugs my local Coop sells are half gallon jugs and are good for one acre each. I would generally shoot for around 10 gallons of water per acre.

So I sprayed my switchgrass patches with 2 4 d in early May. Havent seen any little switch popping up. One of my patches has been under water for the better part of 2 weeks and probably has another week to go. Is it a lost cause? Trying to decide if I should plant some browntop millet in there when the water comes off.

So I sprayed my switchgrass patches with 2 4 d in early May. Havent seen any little switch popping up. One of my patches has been under water for the better part of 2 weeks and probably has another week to go. Is it a lost cause? Trying to decide if I should plant some browntop millet in there when the water comes off.

Zero first hand experience with switch in standing water but I have read that it is as tolerant of wet areas as reed canarygrass. So it may not be a loss.

Its a first year patch early in the growing season so I figure it was putting roots down. Id like to see some of it grow in here but I have my doubts

Ive got foxtail attempting to take over my switchgrass planting. Is there an easy way to spot young switch?