All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sun hemp EW mix

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all! Long time, no post!

I've got a "quick" question regarding a screen that I'm planting this year. I've got a half acre food plot, and I disced a 10-15 ft wide, and ~100ft strip down the center of it (so overall 1000-1500 ft^2). I'm planning on trying a mixture of sunhemp and EW. It's my first time planting either of them, so partially I'm trying this mix out of curiosity. Other than that I'm just looking for something to break up the plot in the winter.

I see that for EW it is suggested 1/4lb per 1000 ft^2. And for sun hemp it's 30-40lb/acre, which works out to being roughly 0.7lb/1000ft^2.

My question is, what would be my seeding rates since I'm using this in a mix?

I was thinking something like 0.4lb of sunhemp and 0.1lb of EW.

Sunhemp has many faces around here. One guy says it grows 6' and other guys say the deer eat it off as soon as it comes up. If your using it as a screen remember that. High deer numbers may mean no growth on the Sunhemp.

Sunhemp has many faces around here. One guy says it grows 6' and other guys say the deer eat it off as soon as it comes up. If your using it as a screen remember that. High deer numbers may mean no growth on the Sunhemp.

The deer browse "problem" is why I thought that perhaps mixing it with EW would work out. If it gets browsed, then ok! You can't blame the deer for eating something you plant. If they don't get browsed that heavily, ALSO great. I'll, potentially, have some thick stalks to support the EW.

I ended up doing rates pretty close to those above. I believe I did a bit less of Sunhemp though.