Sumac lemonade time

bueller

Sumac clusters are ripe. I picked a bunch yesterday. They all had white sticky malic acid on them. So sour and so good. Soak 6-8 full clusters in an ice cold pitcher of water. Strain through cheesecloth after 20 minutes or so. Add sugar to taste if you wish. Very refreshing and full of health benefits.

That's interesting. Is sumac what I just saw growing in many of the roadside ditches traveling thru WI?

That's interesting. Is sumac what I just saw growing in many of the roadside ditches traveling thru WI?
Very common along the highways in WI. Red cone shaped seed heads.

Cool, if you happen to have a chance the next time you brew up a pitcher. Should post a pic or 2. Would be neat to see the process an finished product.

I made this once years ago. The instructions I used said bring seed heads to a simmer in a pot of water for about 5 minutes, then let cool. Strained through cheesecloth and added sugar to taste - chill in frig. It was really good, much like lemonade.

I tried brewing a beer with sumac flavoring one time but it turned out poorly. I'd blame that on the brewer's poor technique. Never got around to trying it again. Haven't brewed in years but will get to cider soon.

Cool, if you happen to have a chance the next time you brew up a pitcher. Should post a pic or 2. Would be neat to see the process an finished product.
Not the most exciting to see but here you go.

Cut mature clusters off, you can tell if they are ready by tasting a couple first. They should be tart. These have been dried but you can still see some of the flavorful white acid. These things a loaded with moisture so be careful how you store them, plastic bag NOT recommended.
IMG_20180806_161924.jpgIMG_20180806_161944.jpg

Fill a pitcher with water and ice and place the clusters in a large bowl or pot. Wait for the water to cool down before pouring it over the clusters.
IMG_20180806_162423.jpgIMG_20180806_163427.jpgIMG_20180806_163545.jpg

I like to let it sit for a half hour or so crushing the clusters with my hands and fists once, probably not necessary. Strain it through cheesecloth back into the pitcher. Serve ice cold. I didn't add any sugar to this batch.
IMG_20180806_172342.jpgIMG_20180806_172404.jpg

Very interesting!