All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SugarBee-tm Apple

AtomApple

5 year old buck +
The wife picked up a few of these from the store tonight. I’d never heard of it. I will give my opinion tomorrow.

quick search:

The SugarBee apple was originally created in Minnesota and has since been cultivated in Washington State.
SugarBee (CN121)[1] is a cultivar of apple grown in the elevated orchards of Washington State. The variety was discovered by Chuck Nystrom in the early 90s and developed in Minnesota. Today, SugarBee has worldwide propagation rights held by Regal Fruit International and is licensed to Chelan Fruit Cooperative in Washington to produce the variety in the United States.[2]

B-51 was its original name, if looking on GRIN. I have not looked.

Being a recently patented apple, it wouldn't be available through GRIN. The patent on it is good for 20 years after filing, until 2032. Assuming it is a commercial hit, it probably stays unavailable. Some of the PRI-Coop apples that are still under patent are in the GRIN collection but they don't give out samples yet.

Here is the plant patent for Sugarbee: https://patents.google.com/patent/US20120240294P1/en

Interesting.
im just learning About the Apple game. And how patents and trademarks work.
So an apple tree like Sugarbee or SweeTango are not available to the public, and as such are near impossible to propagate.
What about the Franklin Cider? It is also under patent, but Stark sells the trees? so you could propagate your own? Obviously you can’t sell them under the TM name. And I respect that idea, and the $ that goes into marketing. But if a friend gives you a ”stick” for personal use, is that illegal?

Interesting.
im just learning About the Apple game. And how patents and trademarks work.
So an apple tree like Sugarbee or SweeTango are not available to the public, and as such are near impossible to propagate.
What about the Franklin Cider? It is also under patent, but Stark sells the trees? so you could propagate your own? Obviously you can’t sell them under the TM name. And I respect that idea, and the $ that goes into marketing. But if a friend gives you a ”stick” for personal use, is that illegal?

Not technically legal , goes on a lot , Sweetangos patents will expire 2028 at that time the name sweetango will still be trade marked , the tree will be available to anyone under its name from u. of m ( minneska ) I have a feeling there will still be demand from the public for trees

My review: decent apple, but pretty mild. No tart .
it’s watery, but not necessarily juicy, if that makes sense.
a little sweet, but not super sweet.
there isn’t anything I don’t like about it. But there is also nothing that stands out. It seems rather bland to me.

Forgot to add.
honey crisp or Sweetango are better IMO.

The patent isn't the important part. Contracts are what controls access. Honeycrisp was patented, probably had licenses for who could propagate to collect royalties, but nothing to restrict who could grow. Franklin is like this.

But most new releases are now "club apples" where trees are not publicly available. The club controls which nurseries can propagate and which growers can buy and plant, all determined by contracts. The club income from the growers are used to market the apples. They patent an apple tree under one name and market under a trademarked name that they can control even after the patent expires. The contracts also prevent unauthorized propagation after the patent expires. No "legal" way to get scionwood or grafted trees as long as the club controls a variety except to join the club.