All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strawberry bush (Euonymus americanus)

chickenlittle

5 year old buck +
Does anyone have a productive stand of strawberry bush? I planted some 3 years ago in several spots. Even with caging, growth has been underwhelming. I would just call it "still alive". The locations may be drier than it prefers. Sites vary from full afternoon sun to limited sun just to the north of a tree line.

I could try moving some to a bottom area that has richer, moister soils but those are much less huntable spots for me.

We have them growing wild in several different spots. The common denominator I see at all of them is that they are growing in partial shade near the roots of large trees. One exception to that is the one at my gate. It came up in a fence row and the closest tree to it is probably 20 feet away, but a large tree. This one gets a lot of sun compared to the others. None of the places I see them has wet soil, but it is flat ground and the moisture retention is pretty good.

I always see browsing on them regardless of where I find them, but not browsed to the extent that it kills them. Just recently I walked through the small woods (only 2 acres) on the 11 acres my son just bought. I was surprised to find several of them, and they were browsed fairly hard. This seems a little strange, because the woods is next to the road and has houses nearby. All of the browsing there would have to take place at night.

The spot I found where they flourished the most was at the west side of my big woods on a property line fence. Some old woven wire from previous fencing had been left near the newer wire and formed almost a cage that kept deer from being able to get close to them easily. Several came up there and looked really good. These probably get 1/2 day of evening sun.

Not sure if this helps any, but just what I notice on the ones growing wild.

I have some just outside the edge of my yard under river birch and water oaks at the edge of the creek. They are usually healthy enough but not really vigorous, maybe because they are on the north , shaded, side

Thanks for the info guys. I might move a couple in the spring and see what happens. Maybe I'll try fertilizing it some where it is and see if that helps.

Well, the strawberry bush got no love this year. I think I did pull some birch seedlings from the one cage. And while not really looking like much, I did get several to flower/fruit.strawberry bush1.jpg strawberry bush2.jpg

I ordered 100 bare root seedlings from superior trees in florida to plant late winter

Any advice on planting?

bill

In not sure I can offer any good advice. I'm not sure where and how to plant this for best growth or what fertilizer and soil amendments to do. Most of mine are alive but not vigorous. I was hoping it would grow into a huge cluster that deer could browse through the cage.

I have them growing wild on my place. They appear to be slow growers and deer browse them heavy. I have some that are 5ft tall but are growing in blow downs where deer can't get them. They do prefer creek bottoms in semi shade.