Stool bed

Mahindra3016

5 year old buck +
I am going to try a stool bed with 3 mm111 rootstocks that I planted last spring, at what stage do I cut the original trees off, at bud break? Before bud break? Should I cut them off flush or a few inches above the ground?
Thank you!
Ben

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Hey Ben
I cut mine off at ground level when they are dormant. Here's a pic of some B118's from a couple of years ago.
B118-stoolbed-3-24-17-003.jpg

I'm thinking I might stool Honeycrisp as a rootstock. I put three Honeycrisp scions in potting mix last week and stored them in darkness at 45 degrees for four days. They each grew multiple 1" long roots during that time. I'm keeping them in those conditions until the terminal bud on each starts to show green. After that, I'll move them to sunlight. If they survive the full year, then I can start stooling them next spring. If I use them for rootstock and my grafts fail, I'll just end up with a Honeycrisp, which isn't a bad outcome either.

What's the preferred medium for stooping? Sand or sawdust? I see both mentioned at times

Sawdust will hold moisture better than sand.

I have a few rootstocks, I believe all B118, planted from last year. I'm going to try doing this as well. Had planned to graft onto them, but this looks worth giving a shot.

I use sawdust, it works well if you keep it moist and it’s easy to remove and not damage roots. My first try at things I killed the rootstock. Now I’ve been letting them grow 2-3 years before cutting off to ensure the underground roots are well established.