All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still Holding

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
I pruned in central Wisconsin yesterday. Probably 14"+ of snow on the ground in some places. While I didn't take pics, there were still a fair amount of trees still holding some fruit. Many of the cages in my main (oldest) orchard had paths beat down around the outside of the cages where deer are coming regularly to check for ground scores. Some trees that were still holding include

Liberty
Frostbite
Black Oxford
Kerr
Goldrush
Winter Wildlife Crab
Sherry
Galarina
Centurion
Honeygold
Franklin

Some of my other crabs I didnt look at the tags - could have been violi's, all winter hangover or other crabs that I have.

If you asked me for some scionwood, I will try and get it shipped in the new couple weeks. Stay tuned.

That is a useful list of trees that "trickle down" a continuous offering of goodies all winter. I have some, and will try to add more proven late season providers based on your experience.

Thanks Crazy Ed for posting!! Good news for sure. Our camp has all of the varieties you named in your post except Frostbite, Black Oxford, and Honeygold.

I also pruned this past weekend. What a great day it was but without my snowshoes I wouldn’t have been able to walk around. Tons of snow on the ground. Tapping my maples and collecting sap might be tough this spring.

Thanks for posting Crazy Ed and good for you that you have managed to keep track of your plantings. Your list coming from zone 4b is especially meaningful to me and will be used as a starting point in determining future orders of known varieties.
Does your area have Cedar Apple Rust and if so would it be classified as moderate or more towards severe?

Thanks for posting Crazy Ed and good for you that you have managed to keep track of your plantings. Your list coming from zone 4b is especially meaningful to me and will be used as a starting point in determining future orders of known varieties.
Does your area have Cedar Apple Rust and if so would it be classified as moderate or more towards severe?

I guess my observations are as follows. I have beach sand and there is no such thing as a puddle ever unless there is frost in the ground. We have red cedars around some but not much. I would say in heavy moisture (rain) years CAR is more present. Dry years less. It is Most noticed on goldrush and frostbite maybe a few others but those jump at me most. It doesn’t hold them back from producing fruit consistently every season.

Sooty Blotch is the most visible fungus / disease on our property.

As Crazy Ed mentioned above - sooty blotch and flyspeck are the most common blemishes on our apples too. Our one un-named yellowish-green late hanger is covered in both, but the deer hammer them regardless. The deer eat every apple within reach standing on their hind legs. It holds some apples into March.

I have a bunch of frostbite and had a couple apples last year. Happy to know they hang late. Do the majority of them hang late or is it a slow drop?

Chummer, I didn’t look that close but I’m pretty sure there were still a lot hanging on my 8 year old tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bunch of frostbite and had a couple apples last year. Happy to know they hang late. Do the majority of them hang late or is it a slow drop?

I need to check my pictures with dates to see if they hold late. This fall, I picked all of them for cider.

I need to check my pictures with dates to see if they hold late. This fall, I picked all of them for cider.

Sorry, no late pictures of Frostbite with apples.

As of March 7th, I have the following crabs still holding some fruit:

Ralph Shay
Evereste
Sugar Tyme
White Angel
Sturgeon Valley Special
Centurion
Don Wyman
Professor Sprenger
Prairiefire
Red Jewel
Morning Sun

Added 3-10-2020
Indian Magic
Manchurian (grafted)

These crabs always have persistent fruit, but std. sized apples up here seem to be holding longer than normal this winter, for some reason.

Last edited:
I was out pruning yesterday. I still had lots of crabapples hanging on some of my trees grown from Dolgo seeds. My latest hanging people apples were Romes. I had a lot of them hanging in early January, but that was the last time I could get out there to look because of snow depth.

I cannot get to most of my apple trees yet.

Bare ground here in SE Mich but zero apples hanging in my patch from last year. My bumper crops are on the even years...this being 2020 I hope to leave a goldrush tree unharvested just to see how it goes.

I have Sugar Tyme and Profusion crabs at my home and they're still holding fruit - especially Sugar Tyme. ST is a highly rated crab for DR. Fruit is about 3/8" dia. Loads of white blossoms in spring.

I have Sugar Tyme and Profusion crabs at my home and they're still holding fruit - especially Sugar Tyme. ST is a highly rated crab for DR. Fruit is about 3/8" dia. Loads of white blossoms in spring.

With it’s brilliant-red persistent fruit, Sugar Tyme is my favorite crab.

It seems more prone to Southwest injury, or sun scald, than my other crabs, though, at least up here in snow country. White interior latex painted on the trunk helps.

Last edited:
Oaknut - I have a little sunscald/SW injury/frost cracking on my ST as well. On the south side(!!), but it's healing nicely. I planted it last spring, so it's getting painted very shortly.

I pruned everything in the last two days.
The only ones still holding were a couple Droptines that had a few left, and a GoldenHornet that had a bunch. Many of the lower branches I pruned off the GH had small crabs on them.
I saved some GH scions to graft to M111 in a couple weeks.

Oaknut - I have a little sunscald/SW injury/frost cracking on my ST as well. On the south side(!!), but it's healing nicely. I planted it last spring, so it's getting painted very shortly.

Bowsnbucks,
It took me a couple of years to figure out what was going on. At first I thought it was some sort of disease, but it was only on my Sugar Tyme. I read about SW injury somewhere, and the light finally went on. One trunk was so badly deformed that I cut it off below the damage, which saved it, and it has nearly caught up with it’s siblings.

Last edited: