Stihl brushcutter

UP Powers

5 year old buck +
I bought a Stihl brushcutter, the Kombi system. Why haven't I bought one of these things previously??? I have no clue. I mean this thing burns through brush!!! I was hammering the honeysuckle over and over and spraying the stumps with 50/50 gly and water as a basal bark. I declared war on those things and I am going to do my part to eradicate them from my place.

I liked that Stihl system because I plan on getting the powersweep and the pole saw with the extension. I really don't know why I didn't pull the trigger earlier on this thing. I tried for a while with my chainsaw and it was a waste of time. This things just burns through them. I had my 10 year old boy spraying the gly and then spray painting the stumps. I turned around at one point and he some orange paint on this face. I asked him if he had an issue with the paint and he said no.. no issue. I said what happened. He said.. I sprayed and forgot it was the upside down can!! Hilarious.

bad-dad.jpg

Sounds familiar, but my 'event' involved a clogged spray can and a nail :)

HEHEHEHEHEHE That is awesome!! It was a great day with my boy and that smile on your boy is priceless!!!

What is the advantage of the Kombi system over say the weekwhacker with a saw blade system?

well.. the Kombi you can switch attachments to a pole saw, to a bristle brush, and etc. the attachments come on and off easily. Now understand that this is essentially a weed whipper but it's a very heavy duty one with a bigger engine. I used one of these years ago that my dad had rigged up with a saw blade on a smaller stihl. Absolutely no comparison. This is a professional model and that thing I used was way back when was a joke.

Maybe it's me, but I wish I had this years ago. it's been absolutely a blast to own so far and I am waging war again this weekend.

I have the stihl weekwhacer/brush cutter with the bike handels. Love that thing. NO idea if I would of rather had this Kombi or not. But I really like what I have.

probably same engine.. the advantage to the Kombi.. same powerhead, but you case than have a pole saw, powersweep, edger, blower, etc. It's pretty slick. OH.. yea.. I was going to pull the trigger on one and my dealer said.. "did you look at the Kombi" after about 30 mins.. SOLD. More options and it seemed like a great idea. Plus I got a 4 year warranty.

Nice tool.
Just don't strap it down to tight with a ratchet strap over the middle of the bar. (They bend.)

Also don't just set it in you 4 wheeler seed spreader while pulling a running brush hog. (Requires replacement) :(

Nice tool.
Just don't strap it down to tight with a ratchet strap over the middle of the bar. (They bend.)

Also don't just set it in you 4 wheeler seed spreader while pulling a running brush hog. (Requires replacement) :(

1441.gif

Are these things fairly safe to use? I am thinking about getting one as well. Need something to cut back my spreading aspen from time to time.

"technically" Stihl doesn't recommend the kombi with the brush blade because it's a safety hazard as they only recommend the units with the bicycle handles. Kombi doesn't have the bicycle handles because it has all different attachments. My dealer said we have TONS of people that are doing what you are doing, but I have to say Stihl doesn't allow it "wink wink".

My opinion after using it. Perfectly safe!! Common sense prevails and safe practices with any tool will prevent injuries. I guess people still mow with the safety shields on their mowers too, my personally I like to watch it fly!!! Fun to catch a rock and watch it go mach 6 in the woods, maybe I am kid at heart, but still laugh every time it happens.

My dad still has a early 70's bobcat snow thrower in his barn. I can tell you it's so unsafe it's almost scary as the 2nd stage is a turbo stage with a nitrous kit on it. There are levers, handles, jumping into gears, opening belt housings, and pretty much a ER trip waiting to happen. 45 plus years, not one injury and you show the machine respect. I will go on record, I will challenge anyone on a snow throwing contest with that machine. It has the ability to create set out a tornado of snow that modern snow throwers could only dream of accomplishing.

So is the Kombi safe. Sure, it's safe for me, and I am ok with it. I would buy another one and I would recommend anyone to buy it.

I saw this video of the bobcat. This thing rules!! Long live old school technology that got replaced by safer equipment, lawyers, and crap from overseas!!!!! Bring back the cats!!!

I know the one I have with the bike handles you would have to be incredibly stupid to find a way to hurt yourself with the blade. It is a very safe setup. I would be more worried about brush coming back and hitting you way before the machine hurting you. You have so much leverage with the bike handles and the blade is far away from you.

I will have to take a peek at one this weekend. Running up to pick up a new saw but always looking for fun new toys.