All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Step aside yote, a new predator in town?

Mahindra3016

5 year old buck +
Golden Eagle feeding on a fawn behind my house, what do you think predator or scavenging ? I glassed the field for deer friday morning and didnt see the fawn, friday afternoon i noticed it by buzzards circling, and this big guy feeding on it. I will have better pictures after my wife edits hers, but for now, a phone pic through binoculars is all i got.
86e65786ca660ccb79856948a3aedf76.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I put out free deer and beef suet and scraps from a butchers shop on a remote part of my land. I do this to feed the birds and varmints in hopes they will leave the deer fawns, grouse and turkeys alone. I have seen bald eagles, turkey vultures, and coyotes feeding on these scrap piles. So with that in mind, I am guessing that the eagle is a scavenger rather than a killer of fawns.

Golden eagles can and will kill deer. Don't be fooled into thinking otherwise.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

I have heard stories of them trying to grab little kids as well. So I wouldn't be shocked if it took a fawn down.

I cant wait to share the pictures my wife got...but they are still on her big professional camera which i am forbidden to touch.

but they are still on her big professional camera which i am forbidden to touch.

Good husband. Always listen to the wife. Looking forward to seeing them!

-John

The pics didnt turn out as good as i hoped, but it was about 300 yards away. But they do show the size better, it looked even bigger in person.
94970947a824adb2739e198bba18c8ef.jpg
912b2ac374d6946a9e1aa64b67ac3b7f.jpg
b2645f2e5c91c44676ad87d14e4177a0.jpg
c87e842b76824488d9e99a57f0700b3e.jpg

Some on another forum are saying juvenile bald eagle, but to see this in person it was huge.

Hate to see the fawn die, but that is a really neat experience.

My vote is golden eagle, not a young bald eagle.

I know the bald eagles here are sure hell on turkeys, very common to have an eagle swoop turkey decoys in the spring any more.