Starting Rootstock From Seed

Great question on the freezer?

Renetka it said 60-120 days
Antonovka it said 60 days
Siberian it said 30-75 days

Thats just what the company suggested that I got them from. I am just going to let them sit in there until I see some sprout and plant them out, probably outside in the nursery.

I have apple an pear seeds I am going to try. But I think going forward I will use Callery pear seeds. I can get them by the thousands in Ohio. They grow like crazy, so they should be cheap and easy root stock. Now I just need a few pear trees to cut scion from, and this might be the beginning of a new legend: Johnny Pearseed.

Typo? Probably meant to say "sexually"... but for clarification anything produced asexually IS identical unless there happened to be a random mutation while chromosomes are being copied.

On a side note: I have 8 Dolgo seeds started that I saved from a tree last yr. I hope that they are somewhat close to what I care about when they mature, but if not I will learn to top-work with them. I really had no intention of saving the seeds but ate a couple of the apples and spit the seeds into a bag that I threw in the crisper. Was cleaning the fridge a couple of weeks ago and they were germinating. Put them in some RM-18's and they are growing great. This hobby is an addiction!

Yes typo....Guess I should re-read before I hit submit.

^^^ I re-read all the time, still quite a bit slips through.

I have apple an pear seeds I am going to try. But I think going forward I will use Callery pear seeds. I can get them by the thousands in Ohio. They grow like crazy, so they should be cheap and easy root stock. Now I just need a few pear trees to cut scion from, and this might be the beginning of a new legend: Johnny Pearseed.

I would be careful with the Callery pear, it is crazy invasive.

I would be careful with the Callery pear, it is crazy invasive.

That's why I'm using it. It is everywhere. I wouldn't dare move it from here, but there are hundreds of them near here.

I took a lazy mans approach last fall and put some seeds inside of these home made contraptions.

Two in the garden.
c7280f9b710474ec0c3e95ae9a0ded70.jpg

And some in this strip where I have some older trees. I had sprayed these areas with roundup several times during the summer.
ccd2dd91c170fffd3f2425391e6e38d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Things have started to happen with the seeds in the garden where it is warmer.
bd951335c804f9086d4f71ae91fd3249.jpg

Just remember on siberian @SmallChunk that some varieties aren't compatible. I think you mostly have to graft crab varieties only to it.

Just remember on siberian @SmallChunk that some varieties aren't compatible. I think you mostly have to graft crab varieties only to it.

Does The term Siberian include dolgo?

Yes. I think you would call Dolgo a selection of Siberian crab (Malus Baccata).

I've grafted "eaters " onto Siberian, American and Zumi crab - all with success. Eaters onto seedlings from crabs and the neighbors unnammed eaters. I've raked up a half a bag of apples, played ninja over a chopping stump to collect some seeds. In my head I'm trying to come up with a combination that wont work. Crab onto eater seedling..? Nah, that works cuz I've done whitney, chestnut, wickson onto B118. But curious if anyone has a the combo that doesnt work?

Hmmmm, I didn’t know that?!

For the purposes of apple/crab compatibility, I'd say whitney, chestnut, and wickson aren't crabs but really just small apples. Same for many of the "wild crabs" we propagate that are really just small wild domestic apple seedlings. For apple/crab compatibility, it is really about domestic apples with other apple species - Baccata, Dolgo, Siberian, Manchurian, Prunifolia, Zumi, etc. There is a paper (I don't know if we've found a copy) that talks about incompatibility of Malus baccata with some apples. That paper is referenced here - http://plants.alaska.gov/pdf/Applerootstocks.pdf

Hmmmm, I didn’t know that?!

It's another reason why I took Ranetka, B118, or Antonovka over Siberian for stock...

I took a lazy mans approach last fall and put some seeds inside of these home made contraptions.

Two in the garden.
c7280f9b710474ec0c3e95ae9a0ded70.jpg

And some in this strip where I have some older trees. I had sprayed these areas with roundup several times during the summer.
ccd2dd91c170fffd3f2425391e6e38d6.jpg

Those in the garden sprouted and have done well. Those along the swamp edge had practically no germination. The mice may have gotten under the tubes or I just did not give them enough time.

Either way, I moved seedlings from the garden tubes to the other tubes.
111b8e4d3d34660845ea3026335b3814.jpg