All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stark bros

bryant

5 year old buck +
anybody have experience ordering from them? Tree quality?

With season being in and all the other habitat stuff we have going I forgot my tree order and they have everything I was wanting to add this year but had not ordered from them. Appreciate the feed back.

I never ordered from them but may make the drive some day an buy a few trees. They got a pretty good selection

One thing I haven't found is what root stock they use

One thing I haven't found is what root stock they use

And from what I have heard on other sites, you wont. I believe I heard they wont relay that information if you call them either.

I've gotten great trees from them and great customer service, but as Stu mentioned that was dealing w/ their wholesale department. I'd just be honest w/ them, tell them what they are for and that you really want to know the rootstock. If that doesn't work, lie like a drunken sailor, call the wholesale department and tell them you have an orchard. You will need to buy at least 25 trees I think. They have a really good break at 100 so if you will not use that many, go in with some friends or sell them. you'll get them for under $10 and you can easily sell them for $15 and pay for some or all of your trees! These were Stark trees. Good roots and well feathered!DSCN1470.JPG

I've gotten great trees from them and great customer service, but as Stu mentioned that was dealing w/ their wholesale department. I'd just be honest w/ them, tell them what they are for and that you really want to know the rootstock. If that doesn't work, lie like a drunken sailor, call the wholesale department and tell them you have an orchard. You will need to buy at least 25 trees I think. They have a really good break at 100 so if you will not use that many, go in with some friends or sell them. you'll get them for under $10 and you can easily sell them for $15 and pay for some or all of your trees! These were Stark trees. Good roots and well feathered!View attachment 3201

Great looking trees at a super price!

I attended a meeting of Mn. apple growers and sampled a great little apple called Kinder Crisp. It has HC as a parent and was developed in central Mn. by a grower that I have visited with. It appears to be quite hardy and I believe Stark is carrying it.

I was interested in the rootstocks available from Stark at one time and requested their commercial catalog to find out more information. While I notice that their current commercial catalog does not contain rootstock info, I happen to have scanned the relevant page in the prior catalog that does contain that info.

With the caveat that this info is dated, some might nevertheless find it helpful to know what rootstock/variety pairs that Stark offered a year or two ago.

Here's that scanned page: http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt267/shytleh/QDMA Forum Pix/StarkCommercial_zps41526bfc.jpeg

StarkCommercial_zps41526bfc.jpeg

I bought 4 dwarf trees for my yard last year and have had good growth from them for year 1......looking forward to their growth this year!

Why would they not tell you? Maybe the rep just doesn't know?