All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spruce Trees - New growth?

MojoRisin

5 year old buck +
My land is wet cedar swamp for the most part in the UP of MI. It was only logged once from what I can tell and that was estimated at over 30 years ago.

Much of the regeneration is from spruce trees. I want more floor openings than anything to get some natural browse. Should I be killing all these new spruce trees that are growing and seem to crop up each year? I don't think they add any nutritional value and I don't need screening or cover. I need openings!

If you have plenty of spruce/cedar then make some openings. Diversity is a great thing for habitat make some nice transition areas, plant some food plots and hard&soft mast if you can get it to grow on the higher spots.

What will grow in their place naturally? If you have to re-plant, I know Red osier dogwood does very well in wet swampy areas.

I have created 4 food plots already. My woods are very dense (VERY dense) and the cedars are stunted for the most part. I don't think the spruce trees add any value and unless told otherwise, I'd cut them all down. I'd prefer grasses, etc would just grow. I have no plans to plant anything replacement trees.

I have had machinery in opening up areas and we've been very busy with the chainsaws doing the same ourselves. It seems like spruces just keep popping up. I wish there was some value. I know the deer eat the cedars but I have no shortage of them.