Spring 2018 Fruit/Nut Tree Orders

Cider trees 50 Wickson,, 50 Dabinette,, 50 Michelin ,, Not really ordered 2018 , ordered three years ago delvery spring 2018 also 100 kindercrisp , Had 200 ambrosia ordered for 2018 but got notice its all kicked back till 2019 all on Bud 9 will plant 4 feet apart and 13 feet between rows

Are you making much cider? Selling it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Placed my first order for spring. Tried Fedco, never ordered from them and they are kind of expensive but they had several varieties I wanted. IMG_2927.JPG

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you making much cider? Selling it?

Have been doing cider for several years now ,, sell at the orchard and one retail location , we do all soft cider for retail hard is a big set of compliance maybe soon , Its not hard to turn sweet cider hard but to get a consistent product you have to control the fermentation some, We may press 700 gallons per fall at this time

Have been doing cider for several years now ,, sell at the orchard and one retail location , we do all soft cider for retail hard is a big set of compliance maybe soon , Its not hard to turn sweet cider hard but to get a consistent product you have to control the fermentation some, We may press 700 gallons per fall at this time

I might have to buy a bit from you next year. This year, I had my first experience, about 12 gallons. I fermented three gallons.

Don’t worry, I will never be a competitor.

Do you sell cider by apple varieties? I just wrote the date on the containers. Early September was the best soft cider batch. I had more varieties and more crab apples in it.

I might have to buy a bit from you next year. This year, I had my first experience, about 12 gallons. I fermented three gallons.

Don’t worry, I will never be a competitor.

Do you sell cider by apple varieties? I just wrote the date on the containers. Early September was the best soft cider batch. I had more varieties and more crab apples in it.

We do not single press unless we get a order for a large batch we will single press for the home hobbyist but must be large enough order. Every batch here contains Sweetango, chessnut , zestar early season , usually by late September honeycrisp, sweetango, chessnut, frostbite, Harlson, honeygold and several others the best comes from a full mix , Frostbite Apples don't sell well for us but they make great cider blend . We freeze cider by the gallon for our own use thru the year and it is just as good in feb as fresh . take a little off the top of a gallon and freeze

Last edited:
We do not single press unless we get a order for a large batch we will single press for the home hobbyist but must be large enough order. Every batch here contains Sweetango, chessnut , zestar early season , usually by late September honeycrisp, sweetango, chessnut, frostbite, Harlson, honeygold and several others the best comes from a full mix , Frostbite Apples don't sell well for us but they make great cider blend . We freeze cider by the gallon for our own use thru the year and it is just as good in feb as fresh . take a little off the top of a gallon and freeze

I took a half gallon out of the freezer this weekend and have another (almost) half gallon left. My best had multiple varieties in it.
f92057f594e2f43f574f925e709bf14a.jpg

Wooduck- do you grow any pears? If so, what varieties have worked out for you?

Well I just ordered four peach trees, two plum trees and two cherry trees from Grandpa's Orchard. That makes a total of 16 trees coming this spring. That will be enough work for me in the planting category. The wife likes cherries, the daughter plums, and we all like peaches!!!!!!! That with 8 heirloom apples will be a great addition to the orchards.

Wooduck - Does U. of Minn. have any more apples ready to come out of the pipeline ?? They've had many good ones before.

One other comment, this is the earliest I have got my tree orders in because I am amazed at how quickly the nurseries run out of the good varieties (or at least the ones I want).

Wooduck - Does U. of Minn. have any more apples ready to come out of the pipeline ?? They've had many good ones before.
Not certain on timing but will tell an observation I think they have releases ready now but time them to allow the last release to mature in the marketplace in other words let their previous releases develop a following , We are members of the Minnesota Apple Growers association and get all our inside info on Minnesota apple releases at their meetings all the way back to Honeycrisp The first orchards to plant honeycrisp years ago were Minnesota Apple assoc members and that is how we got our foot in the door for Sweetango, First Kiss ect .Several years ago at the end of the annual meeting we were offered a chance to sign up for experimental varieties they had available we picked up trees that spring and have some growing here now , They include Sweet Cherries bred for this area climate , three years old now and had some fruit last season not a heavy amount No Name just a nursery number at this point also very hardy pear trees a conventional pear crossed with an Asiatic will produce a large fruit and bear under cold winter conditions and this maybe a good day to establish a test -23 this mourning .

I fill a freezer every year with cider, it does indeed stay just as good as when it was fresh pressed. I also write the date of the pressing on the jugs or lids, it's neat to be able to taste the difference between diffeeent batches. I drink a TON of Gatorade when working at my place so I typically rinse the empty Gatorade bottles out after use and fill them in the fall with cider, they are a great way to freeze individual "portions" of cider. Most days I thaw one out and take it to work w me.

Thought I'd bump this up in case any newer guys have trees ordered for this spring. Maybe some of them will post on here for the first time & let us know what they've got planned.

Or maybe some of the regulars have ADDED to their orders and want to confess their sins ???? :emoji_smiling_imp: :emoji_astonished:

My focus this spring is on grafting pears. In addition to the 50 OHxF87 I had on order, I added some seedling rootstocks to experiment.

20 pyrus betulifolia seedlings that should give a bigger tree than OHxF87 or OHxF97.

10 aronia and 10 serviceberry (Amelanchier alnifolia) which are compatible with pear and give a very dwarf tree pear. I'm not sure if those seedlings will be big enough to graft onto. Those are for backyard playing and seeing if I can get some fruit to enjoy in 2-3 years.

I want to extend an offer to any that want or care we have on our farm black walnuts that bear every year if a member wants nuts for a project they can get them here free just make arrangements next fall , hate to see the squirrels get so many we used at least 5 , 5 gallon pails last year and maybe had twice that many here , I wont pick or ship that's up to you .

My Fedco order, (10) B118 roots, some scions for YarlingtonMill, GoldenRussett, Harrision and Baldwin (yeah, Cider)
My BurntRidge order, 10 Dolgo roots, (1) nectarine tree and (1) peach.

I have 3 dolgo and 3 chestnut crabs coming from Turkey Creek this spring. I need to learn to graft and mix and match some of my apples to an ornamental crab I have as well......poor thing is going to be a tree version of Frankenstein when I am done!

Last edited: