Spray'n throw question

Boll Weevil

5 year old buck +
I've successfully done all the variations of throw/spray/mow over the years but never with a really tall stand of vegetation. My neighbor (farmer) has a big spray rig and is going to nuke a 16ac fallow field for me with vegetation up to 5ft tall. Once it fries and dries down, is that too much cover to have a successful broadcast turnip crop? Anyone got experience with really tall spray'n throw?

I have used 5 foot tall winter rye in the past, with really patchy results. Lots of bare spots.

I usually have fairly tall rye when I broadcast my brassicas. I just roll it down and it provides nice cover for the seeds. They have no problem coming up through that thatch.

Chuck

Hm. I've got a 4-row do-all with rolling drum choppers...wonder if I raised up the adjustable harrow teeth up so just the choppers were engaged and knocked the dead stuff down flat (like a crimper) might help?

Timing of your mowing can affect how much thatch you end up with. The longer you wait to mow after spraying, the less thatch you'll have.

Ive had good luck seeding, then rolling, then spraying. Like chuck says, makes a good thatch. Rolling it works better than mowing in my opinion.

We don't have do-alls up in Yankee land but have seen them on some food plot videos and think that would work well to knock down grasses but maybe not so much for any brush. Have had good luck releasing clover thru heavy thatch so think using the do-all would help a bunch

Hm. I've got a 4-row do-all with rolling drum choppers...wonder if I raised up the adjustable harrow teeth up so just the choppers were engaged and knocked the dead stuff down flat (like a crimper) might help?

I have been using a do-all for two seasons to lay down green and brown thatch. Had to take my harrows completely off unit because I could not raise them enough. If they drag they will roll your vegetation up on top of the ground. Especially if you go across any of it twice. I wanted a roller / crimper but already had a couple of do all's. I tried it and I liked it enough I am not in the market for a roller crimper anymore.

This was a field that had tall weeds but primarily 4'-5' reed canary grass. Did 2 gly sprayings with the 8' sprayer and then hand sprayer touch ups.

Please over seeded with brassicas, kale, & turnips and then went over multiple times with the cultipacker. We had good rains the week after which really helped.

The pics were 2 weeks after seeding. Make sure you broadcast seed when thatch is dry and you should be fine.

0719191725a.jpg

0719191701.jpg

That looks fantastic. My throw and Roll plot is really weedy and I'm worried its not going to make. My crimper wasn't heavy enough to terminate some of the stuff growing in there. I wish now I would have sprayed. Next year it will be significantly heavier after I cut it open and fill it with concrete. I am actually considering mowing the plot off above the brassica and seeing what happens. It's only a strip right next to my sugar beet strip (which I also over seeded with brassica to fill in the extremely thin plot) If it doesnt produce bulbs no biggie, there is plenty of volunteer cereals coming in nicely.

That looks just like mine I used a drag this year. I didn't spray last year and really regretted it. This year I sprayed thoroughly and went heavier on the seed. I almost think I

went too heavyBrassicasT&M2.jpg

What is a do-all?
Lots of variations but they were traditionally used for seedbed preparation as a finishing implement to bust clods of dirt. Some of the bigger ones with chopper drums can also be used to resize residue.

image.jpeg

What is a do-all?
Lots of variations but they were traditionally used for seedbed preparation as a finishing implement to bust clods of dirt. Some of the bigger ones with chopper drums can also be used to resize residue.

View attachment 25948

Thank you for taking the time to post a picture, very interesting! Another implement I would like to have

View attachment 25948

The do-alls in our area were used as a finishing tool but also for premerge herbicide applications. Back in the day, Treflan had to be incorporated in the soil immediately upon application. Treflan boom on belly of tractor and do-all behind. Planter followed close behind. Spent many an hour in the early 70s on one.

I would love to have one of those things.

Chuck

Down south, they were rather common. Still see a few on craigslist.