All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spray and Mow or Mow and Spray

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
IMG_8877.jpeg

This field is full of volunteer brown top millet. I want to kill it all. Would you spray and then mow or mow and let it come back and spray a couple weeks after mowing

When it comes to my property I don't have a ton of time to try different things. I'm not even sure how to say this without sounding stupid... My place is far enough away from home that I try to ensure what I'm doing gets "done" when I have the chance (meaning - it works but it might be a bit overboard). So others may disagree with my strategy here because of the negatives of spraying but if I were in your shoes, I would:

1. Day 0 - Spray now.
2. Day 7 - Do nothing. Wait another week (depends on your luck - if you feel unlucky, meaning that you feel like your your first spray didn't work you could skip to step 3.)
3. Day 14 - Spray again (this might be more of spot treatments where things are still green). If you feel lucky, you could do step 3 and step 5 here (but you might still have some undesirables).
4. Day 21 - Do nothing. Wait another week.
5. Day 28 - Seed/fert/lime as necessary. I would also mow the dead stuff to help cover some of your seed. If you have a rake of some kind you could lightly rake before mowing to help get your seed down again closer to the soil. Remember when broadcasting (T&M) you need to go heavier on seed than if you were drilling it in.

This method works/worked for me. My field is MUCH smaller than yours:
The pic on the left, was 2 weeks after my first spray. You can still see some stubborn green spots that I re-sprayed just those spots and moved right onto step 5.

1689963630049.png

Last edited:
I'd spray first, but either will will likely work just fine. The only reasons I could see for mowing first are: 1 - veg so thick you're afraid the bottom stuff won't get sprayed, 2 - much of the veg is mature and you're afraid the leafs are too waxy to absorb the spray. In my experience neither is much of a concern.

My end intentions are not throw n mow.

So, I sprayed my house food plot. 1/3 acre 20oz of 41% gly with a few ounces of surfacant and a half coffee cup of AMS 21% pellets.. Has dead rye in it, clover, tons of plantain, red aramath, and i think bedstraw.

Sprayed on saturday around 1pm, spreading and mowing monday afternoon too soon?

Spreading Rye and clover with a little turnips wheat and oats. Likely spray dead in the spring and do buckwheat or oats. Thinking plantain is a little out of hand. Pics were a few hours after spraying.

Not using this spot to hunt for a year or two, just giving the guys some good winter forage while the Herd heals from a EHD outbreak. Starting to reguarly see deer in the morning on my road again. 4 or 5, usually see 12-20 before EHD.

Attachments

• 20230902_192341.jpg
    20230902_192341.jpg
    434.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230902_192349.jpg
    20230902_192349.jpg
    508 KB · Views: 6