All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spice Bush in thinned forest area- is it that bad?

DRG3

5 year old buck +
I have a 3/4 acre area where a year ago I killed most of the cannopy with Girdle and squirt or hack and squirt. One of the first plants to come back was spice bush. I have heard this isn't desirable, but I would like to understand why?
My primary goal is turkey habitat and deer a close second. It seems like the spice bush would give overhead cover for turkey poults and allow for movement. I guess it may be that it shades out the other successional growth, but to what extent?

I would love to hear ideas, experiences and suggestions for how to manage this, or to let it go.

I think I'm learning that the secondary management of thinned timber is harder than the killing of it.

I have a good bit of it in places. I don't feel bad about getting rid of some of it, but I don't want the entire understory to be spicebush. I haven't seen it do that. It does make pretty good cover and it fruits in early autumn. I want some for the cover and berries. It can be aggressive, so I'd just keep an eye on it. I wouldn't go out of my way to declare war on it. It has its place.

I have a good bit of it in places. I don't feel bad about getting rid of some of it, but I don't want the entire understory to be spicebush. I haven't seen it do that. It does make pretty good cover and it fruits in early autumn. I want some for the cover and berries. It can be aggressive, so I'd just keep an eye on it. I wouldn't go out of my way to declare war on it. It has its place.
Thanks. This particular area is low lying in a creek bottom. I have 3 other areas about this size on other parts of my land that it doesn't seem to be a factor in.