All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spent time outside

Looks good. What mower is that?

Looks good. What mower is that?
That is a rough cut Kunz mower. That canary grass is between 5 and 6 foot. I've kept the orchard areas clean as I could. But today went out to west side of Property. Grass had not been cut all year, I've taken to putting trails through the grass which seems to encourage deer trails.

That is a rough cut Kunz mower. That canary grass is between 5 and 6 foot. I've kept the orchard areas clean as I could. But today went out to west side of Property. Grass had not been cut all year, I've taken to putting trails through the grass which seems to encourage deer trails.

I've been doing that recently also. It's working. We put trails through the switchgrass right by stands and they use them.

Mower and orchard looks Great. Have you thought about spraying the entire orchard with glyphosate and planting clover. It would give the deer something to feed on year round and it will help keep the grass under control. Great fall project.

I agree with Davewp70 and Bill on the cut trails thing. Deer definitely use the mowed trails at our camp. Tracks and droppings attest to the amount of travel on them.

Mower and orchard looks Great. Have you thought about spraying the entire orchard with glyphosate and planting clover. It would give the deer something to feed on year round and it will help keep the grass under control. Great fall project.
This Orchard is all early apples, Pluots, peaches and european pears. Entertained idea of clover just to not cut grass as often, but this orchard is on the border of neighbors property. I do think about the clover in the core of my property around the later bearing apples. This Orchard has had an effect on deer trails. Before, trails were often south of creek, now, there are a couple of trails that come through orchard. Not all trees are old enough to bear, and hopeful for when they mature.

While doing trail work Sunday, came across this little one...20170625_134123.jpg
Also checked to make sure keeping ahead of the jap beetles
20170625_173750.jpg