All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

soybeans

wildfire

5 year old buck +
The people that farm all around us are planting soybeans instead corn due to predicted dry summer. Does that mean I should not plant soybeans. I usually plant soybeans, and overseed brassicas into them.

The people that farm all around us are planting soybeans instead corn due to predicted dry summer. Does that mean I should not plant soybeans. I usually plant soybeans, and overseed brassicas into them.

I would still plant soybeans. The farmers beans will take pressure off your beans in summer but come fall when all the surrounding beans are harvested, your beans will be a major attraction.

I live in a heavy ag area and I still plant corn and beans. Once the fields are harvested I will have the only standing stuff around. Don't expect as much pressure on your beans this year, but that can be a good thing. You want an awesome early season plot - plant soybeans in the late summer when you plant your fall plots. The deer will destroy the fresh young growth - great for early season hunts before the frost comes and kills them off - then the other plants can take over.

I've never heard of anyone changing their planting plans based on the summer's forecast. You must have more accurate meteorologists in your area than we have here.

I would still plant some beans and if you have extra room maybe something else as well. Your soybean plots probably won't give you as much early season action as usual with all the competition, but as Tom said that can be a good thing when you have the only standing beans left.

I've never heard of anyone changing their planting plans based on the summer's forecast. You must have more accurate meteorologists in your area than we have here.

I would still plant some beans and if you have extra room maybe something else as well. Your soybean plots probably won't give you as much early season action as usual with all the competition, but as Tom said that can be a good thing when you have the only standing beans left.

I suspect a big part of it is also the inputs per acre of corn versus beans. Current corn prices are not profitable for many producers.

Last year was the first in 5 I had zero beans and I was not happy. Its all regional but when you figure out what works on your spot, you figure out what works on your spot.

You guys have convinced me of the importance of beans during open winters like this.

Beans and corn both for this year if things work out.

I also like the rye.

Turnips and beets are not worth too much effort.

Beans are great when neighboring ag land is also beans

Pressure will be less, when they combine the beans--they will be moving to what's left (your food plot)

When the neighbors have soybeans I try to plant some of my soybeans much later than normal. It becomes a huge draw when their beans yellow and yours are still greened up. I always have soybeans planted otherwise you will inevitably lose deer through the summer months to any soybeans in the area.

I have my customers plant a mix of late and normal maturity Soybeans if they go the bean route or want just forage beans for there food plots. Both are Roundup Ready, lots cheaper, You can plant them at the same time and the late maturity tend to grow taller, faster and stay green much longer. Spreading out your early food source. The risk with late maturing beans, and forage soybeans, which are very late maturing, is no beans in the pods when hard frost comes or moldy beans. If you plant a mix of maturity ranges you will always have plot success for late season food as well as early.

I usually plant around 2 acres of beans every year. There are ag fields less than a mile away that the deer could fill up on beans till their stomachs are full. Still every year my soybeans are destroyed to the point that they don't turn out very many pods. It seems like a challenge to the deer if they can wipe my beans out. I don't know why they don't move to the ag fields when my beans are only six inches high and they are trying to find some leaves to munch on.

What's the best time to plant soybeans in zone 5 - 6 border ??

I have my customers plant a mix of late and normal maturity Soybeans if they go the bean route or want just forage beans for there food plots. Both are Roundup Ready, lots cheaper, You can plant them at the same time and the late maturity tend to grow taller, faster and stay green much longer. Spreading out your early food source. The risk with late maturing beans, and forage soybeans, which are very late maturing, is no beans in the pods when hard frost comes or moldy beans. If you plant a mix of maturity ranges you will always have plot success for late season food as well as early.

MO, what maturity groups do you like to plant? I'm considering 3 and 4.8 because that's the shortest and longest ones available to me locally but this is also the first time I'll be doing this.

MO, what maturity groups do you like to plant? I'm considering 3 and 4.8 because that's the shortest and longest ones available to me locally but this is also the first time I'll be doing this.

This year in Missouri we are planting 2.5 and 4.5, middle to the end of may.

This year in Missouri we are planting 2.5 and 4.5, middle to the end of may.

How many days difference is between these 2 varieties? Is this a 2 week difference? More? Less? Just trying to get an idea.

I have planted beans for about 5 years now. I plant 6 acres of corn and 6 acres of beans. I rotate them every year. Since I have planted beans I have had more deer winter in my land. Corn is good but beans are better. Never had 23 deer in front of me bow hunting when it was just corn!

For foodplots, my neighbor put beans in the two outside rows of his corn planter. At some locations we should have 4 rows of beans side by side. It is a bit of a compromise on the corn and bean yield, but we will see what happens.

We have done it before.

Soybeans are the best fall attractant around my place. I had standing corn on my place last rifle season and the deer were leaving my property and going to the neighbors cut bean field to the west. I'm doing a mix of beans and corn every other row in my food plot with the idea that the deer won't be letting the beans mature so I'll at least have some corn for winter feed.

Anyone got beans in the ground yet? Planting 1/2 of mine Wednesday and the other 1/2 10 days later. I normally have them all planted by Memorial Day.

Anyone got beans in the ground yet? Planting 1/2 of mine Wednesday and the other 1/2 10 days later. I normally have them all planted by Memorial Day.

I planted a small plot of them yesterday next to a corn plot, didn't want to but I couldn't resist. It's a small plot in my backyard about 75yds from my house that doesn't get touched until late December early January. I won't put the rest of the beans in until May 20th or so.