source for e fence posts, cost effective+

mikmaze

5 year old buck +
OK guys, time to get my but in gear and finally do an e fence setup so I can get a crop of beans going, the deer by me are too aggressive and won't give soybeans a chance, nor cowpeas, nor eagle beans... So let me know where you found the best deal on fence posts, cost effective can also be translated as cheap, for fiberglass poles, what would you think would be the thinnest acceptable for the job without decreasing spacing to the point where there is no gain on cost? Lastly I would also like some input on solar charger, and e tape sources. I have about a 2 acre plot I want to protect, fortunately one long side has a chain link fence so I won't need to e the whole plot. thanks for any and all help, Mike

good stuff on page two, thanks.......... and the steel ones look good for the corners for a bit more strength.

geez, thought I had a fence charger for my setup, but after seeing the price, I looked at the back, and the setup I was hot to get didn't seem hot enough to be used on deer, now looking at a 200 dollar setup that should do it, then tape, and posts....... good thing this will last me a few seasons, and I can e fence a section around some veggies and pumpkins for me.

Chargers are not cheap. I had one go bad after a year. Luckily it was under warranty zareba fixed it for free.

I guess the big thing to deter deer is the high stored joules, cheap seem to be lo , deer rated seem high. seems like one would only need to swap in a larger capacitor to the lower priced units and whamo, deer power!

anybody ever see if they can upgrade the capacitor on one of these?

Not me

Make sure you put in some long grounding posts for your efence. That is what let’s it work to its full potential. I have a solar system around my garden and bee hives about 4 ft outside an 8 ft welded wire fence. The unit is listed for 30 miles and with the 8 ft grounding post I sunk in it maxes out my tester. It’s my compound but I have some big bear by me. 85BF8827-F40C-4608-A297-DB734B4344C5.jpegCB1BE351-C744-4503-BAE2-0323B4FAB33E.jpeg74B59C41-BC0C-42EE-A43D-4A5B3FD5D679.png

my charger arrived, just ordered zareba 1/2 inch poly tape, next is sturdy step in stakes, then some lighter ones to fill in every other on the inside loop, getting a 50 pack of step ins, then a ten pack of lighter weight/ cheaper. nothing like spending 400 bucks and not having much to show for it. but hey, I'll be able to get some for me plants inside as well, taters, maters, and pumpkins.

Hopefully it lasts a long time....

well, got er done today. Planted 2 acres of soybeans, mid to long season beans. Put up 85 posts, 30 inches in between and did the Gallagher to it. Ordered just enough zap tape, had about 100 foot left over. Put in 3 ground rods to ensure good contact. All in all I do NOT recommend doing this alone, I did and it seemed to take forever and ended up working till about 7:00 . Put it to the test, leaf test, and oh yeah, it's live! 1.3 joule unit should get the point across. anyone cruising west on 78 can see it bout a quarter mile before the power line cut. In all, the least satisfied item was the 48 inch step in posts, poly, beefy, but soft. had I known how good the fiberglass fill in posts were I would have gotten all fiberglass. Might put in some pumpkins just for fun now that they have a protected area for a few months, and even some taters.

Long day. I had my brother help back when I put one in and it still took forever.

If I get down today I will set a cam or two on video, I just can't wait to see one get whacked the first time with 1.3 joules of " stay the heck off my beans "

unfortunately I have 4 of my best cameras aimed around my pond, seems something likes my Koi more than I do, and 3 have gone missing in the last 2 weeks, I have the fishing line setup against Heron, but not sure what else might be the culprit. coon? could be, that will be a have a hart story for another day if that is the case.

I bet it’s a heron. Get a heron decoy and that should solve the problem. It solved mine. Like to see a few pictures of you fence on your beans

20190525_184451.jpg

Attachments

• 20190525_184451.jpg
    20190525_184451.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190525_184503.jpg
    20190525_184503.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 9
Looks awesome. One trick to educate them is to put some peanut butter on tinfoil attached to the polly tape. They will get a jolt when they lick it off and then will stay away from the fence. Also spray under your fence as the grass and weeds start to grow. If they touch your fence they will ground it and dissipate your power.