All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sons first deer

Jimmy G

5 year old buck +
Last Saturday I got up thinking that I had to work and was eating breakfast. Just as I stood up from the kitchen table I look out the window to the north and see a small 8(?) walking near my clover plot. As I contemplate waking my son up/being late to work, I decide to get closer to the window and get a better look at this buck...within moments a large body deer stands up along the edge of my plot....holy cr&p.....alarms go off in my head and I race upstairs and shake my son awake. He is deep asleep and wondering what the heck I'm doing. I frantically tell him "2 bucks outside..GET UP!" Amazingly within minutes he's dressed and I got the muzzleloader ready. I formulate a plan for him to sneak out the front door and find a good rest.
All this time the older buck has now walked towards the young buck and kind of stared him down. I tell my son "find the shoulder" and as I scramble to a window I hear the whoomp of the muzzleloader go off. I look out the window and can see the larger buck take off thru my very narrow tree line but quickly lose sight of him.
As I quickly dress and we slowly walk to the impact spot we see absolutely nothing....I mean nothing! We can easily see in the fresh snow the tracks and then where it quickly took off. Now, I have great faith in my sons shooting, I've seen him shoot other things with great shots but this is deer hunting and ...you never know.
I then tell him to walk along the tree line out in the field and I would slowly track it. Now my 20 acres is pretty open so there's really no chance of jumping him, not much cover near the house. I just wanted to get an idea if we have a hit. And also I still think I have to work ...so I'm just slightly in a panic....
As my son Jack gets near the end of the tree line he jumps up and down yelling "there's the deer"....again my mind is racing and I think...its standing there??.....no way???....I'm thinking for some reason it's still alive...but he says "it's down".....again holy cr&p! For some reason I never thought it would be dead right past the tree line.
As we walk up to it we never crossed one speck of blood, I only found one tiny piece of fat. Sure enough he hit it in the shoulder and it zipped thru the heart and stuck just on the other side under the skin.
What a crazy morning! And to top it all off I never did have to work...without that thought I would of also been asleep and probably never seen the two bucks.

Hero shot and bed it just got out of
2e9993f00cf01dc8874ac7f97cb17865.jpg
e66dcb5ab36ed75d502e73f6be378ebc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good story and nice buck, congrats to your son!

Congrats to you and your son. Nice buck.

Congrats to you both!

Congrats!

Congrats to him.

Great buck! Congrats to him (and you!)

My clover plot was mowed Labor Day Weekend. I planted Alice white and can’t remember the variety of red. I’m thinking it was marathon medium red or freedom MR. there is a heavy component of oasis chicory in there and the deer are hammering that.
79f301bb318dc6a43b067c3c1c90fa2b.jpg
d3c96ff8aacf83592eb80e6bf74c38d6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops. I thought this was in The Who mows clover thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to him....snow on the ground.....not ready for that here just yet....