All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Son's buck

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
My son killed this deer Tuesday morning on my place, but I didn't find it until today.

I'm as sick as a dog losing all this good meat, but I tried my best. We decided that he had missed it because we didn't find a drop of blood and the deer didn't act like it was hit. The buzzards led me to it this morning. It really didn't go very far, but in that jungle of grass you can't tell anything unless you can at least see some blood.

He had already tagged out on another deer, so I just burned my buck tag and called this one in after I found it. So, my season is over. I would have liked to keep hunting, but I felt using my tag was the right thing to do.

I believe this to be a deer I had been getting the last two years in December during the second rut. He decided to come early this year.

Last edited:
Right thing to do and a beautiful buck.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

What Gilliehunter said, Native Hunter... beautiful buck. On personal note, man do I feel your pain. Had pretty much same thing happen two weeks ago to the day. I too recovered mine but lost the meat and it still stings. Glad to know its fate, however, and that it didn't suffer long at all.

Great buck. Stuff happens, they aren't easy to find sometimes. Good call on tagging it. I've done the same thing.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

You're a stand-up guy. Sometimes it's impossible to recover an animal. Nice deer.

Man that stings! Had the same thing happen 2 years ago on a big buck. Lost the meat but still found him. Hurts to even think about it.

Congrats for doing the right thing, sorry to hear about losing him.

Congrats on the deer. He's a heck of a buck.

Good call on tagging. Tough thing to do but you know you'll sleep well at night.

How long is that G2?

congrats to your son Steve that's unfortunate you guys don't get to enjoy any of the meat. I guess my question for you is that tall narrow deer still roaming around?

Congrats on the deer. He's a heck of a buck.

Good call on tagging. Tough thing to do but you know you'll sleep well at night.

How long is that G2?

Thanks - That longest point is actually a G3. You can't see the brows very well in that pic. G3 is 9 1/4.

Last edited:
congrats to your son Steve that's unfortunate you guys don't get to enjoy any of the meat. I guess my question for you is that tall narrow deer still roaming around?

Daniel, I've not heard of anyone killing him. I think he is just laying low.

The wide 8 with the short brow tines came through on the second day, and I passed that deer. He is showing up on camera now about midnight. He knows what's going on for sure.

Here is a pic where you can see the brows a little better. They were both only 2 inches apiece.

Had it happen with a doe up in WI one year...we found what the coyotes had left behind.

Can you harvest a doe to fill the freezer?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Had it happen with a doe up in WI one year...we found what the coyotes had left behind.

Can you harvest a doe to fill the freezer?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yes, I still have a doe tag. I may wait until December ML season if we decide to use it. I could also hunt another farm if we didn't want to take one off my farm. Dad has a place that we don't manage, which would be good for that.

Great that you found the deer NH...beautiful buck. Too bad about the meat.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I've been feeling down all day about this, but it helps to get some support from other hunters who understand how it affects a guy.

Not lot of people would burn a tag. Your a stand up guy.

Not lot of people would burn a tag. Your a stand up guy.

Thanks tooln. One thing I have come to appreciate about this forum is that there are so many "stand up guys" here. It's a brotherhood that we should be proud of.

Native - Great call on the tag and also a great buck. Sometimes we can try as hard as we can to find a deer, and it just doesn't happen. I've been in on a couple 2-day tracking jobs for other guys. We never found those deer. It stings less knowing you tried. Sorry to hear about the meat, but you know he didn't suffer at all. Quick end. Nothing left to nature goes to waste. I hope you can save the rack and admire the fine animal you helped develop by your habitat work.

Native - Great call on the tag and also a great buck. Sometimes we can try as hard as we can to find a deer, and it just doesn't happen. I've been in on a couple 2-day tracking jobs for other guys. We never found those deer. It stings less knowing you tried. Sorry to hear about the meat, but you know he didn't suffer at all. Quick end. Nothing left to nature goes to waste. I hope you can save the rack and admire the fine animal you helped develop by your habitat work.

Bowsnbucks, I have a good friend who is a taxidermist and he already has a cape. He killed a big deer with a broken up rack, and said I could have his cape. So we will get this one mounted for my son. I do hate the way it turned out and losing the meat, but trying to not let that take away from the absolutely great hunt we had together. We got to talk more than ever before and just enjoy our time together.