All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solo spreader settings

bueller

What settings do you find work the best for spreading brassicas, rye, fertilizer, clover, etc...? Each year I seem to forget what worked best for me in prior years. This time around I plan to make a "cheat sheet" to put on the spreader with clear tape.

I don't use them. I guess it is because my walk speed changes. For winter rye, I'm full open. For small seed, I measure out the amount of seed I want in the field based on acreage and load it. I then start with a small opening and make a pass to ensure full field coverage and then make a second pass with it open a bit more. It is probably not the most efficient way to do it but it works. When I first started, I tried to use and record settings. For whatever reason (probably my walk speed variability), I would sometimes run out of seed before I finished the field. That left me with a field that was too thick in spots and empty in others.

My first two passes are methodical. If I have seed left after the second pass, I zig-zag around randomly with the door open even wider.

Thanks,

jack

I don't use them. I guess it is because my walk speed changes. For winter rye, I'm full open. For small seed, I measure out the amount of seed I want in the field based on acreage and load it. I then start with a small opening and make a pass to ensure full field coverage and then make a second pass with it open a bit more. It is probably not the most efficient way to do it but it works. When I first started, I tried to use and record settings. For whatever reason (probably my walk speed variability), I would sometimes run out of seed before I finished the field. That left me with a field that was too thick in spots and empty in others.

My first two passes are methodical. If I have seed left after the second pass, I zig-zag around randomly with the door open even wider.

Thanks,

jack

I'm with Jack ... my only other method is when I see seed coming out or hear it hitting other plants ... :D

I try to walk and crank at the same steady pace each time, not too fast not too slow. This past weekend I found that even setting #1 was open too much for small brassica seed :oops:. I'm not trying to get it perfect on one pass, that will never happen. But I don't want to be making 5 passes either.

I try to walk and crank at the same steady pace each time, not too fast not too slow. This past weekend I found that even setting #1 was open too much for small brassica seed :oops:. I'm not trying to get it perfect on one pass, that will never happen. But I don't want to be making 5 passes either.

I don't think I've ever had to make more than 2 plus a little zig-zagging. I will say that after doing my first field, I adjust and my second and subsequent fields are usually a single pass plus a little zig-zagging.

I like where your head is at but it is just too hard to hit it right on the head with different field sizes and mixes.
Brassicas and clover I always put down as slow as possible. I make a pass north and south, reload and go east and west. If I still have some left and hit the field on a diagonal.
I have small 1/4 acre plots so this works for me.

If I have a grain like oats rye etc where I am going to have to reload 10 times to spread the field I will put the setting in the middle say a
#3 on a 1-5 scale and letr rip.

You can till for days, but you only spread the seed once. Take your time and do it right. Slow, slow, slow, empty.

I'm in the measure out how much I want to put down group. Once measured make criss cross pattern till gone. Extra walking but I don't mine.