Solo broadcaster upgrade

momatt

5 year old buck +
This year has been hard for me. My dozer blew a line and was down all summer. Big rains washed out my creek crossings and I couldn’t get in my fields. Got dozer fixed and disced up chest high weeds last week of August. Too late for brassicas but still time for rye and oats. Called up nrcs drill completely booked. I like to use their Great Plains 1096nt. Well today I broadcast about 450 pounds of rye and 300 pounds of oats and cultipacked them in. Took almost 12 hours.

So what’s the upgrade? I took the handle off the solo and turned the nut (14mm) with my Milwaukee cordless drill. Used up three batteries. It really flings it and saves the shoulder the big batteries that came with the impact wrench worked good.

Attachments

• FFB5F759-E006-44FC-845C-C43A5ACF47DB.jpeg
    FFB5F759-E006-44FC-845C-C43A5ACF47DB.jpeg
    525.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 2BBE3746-3496-4944-9F87-61C742358F47.jpeg
    2BBE3746-3496-4944-9F87-61C742358F47.jpeg
    545.5 KB · Views: 107
I have seen/heard of folks not only doing that, but also sit facing backwards on a quad while a buddy drives as well. Where there is a will there is a way!! Not saying it's the safest thing to do.....but lets just say dumb ideas seem to follow me around!

750 pounds of cereal grain by hand...love it.

At least your ground is relatively flat, my blisters would have blisters doing that in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking about doing just that same thing, but with a dedicated motor/ rechargeable battery. its on the rainy day, nothing else to do list.

This year has been hard for me. My dozer blew a line and was down all summer. Big rains washed out my creek crossings and I couldn’t get in my fields. Got dozer fixed and disced up chest high weeds last week of August. Too late for brassicas but still time for rye and oats. Called up nrcs drill completely booked. I like to use their Great Plains 1096nt. Well today I broadcast about 450 pounds of rye and 300 pounds of oats and cultipacked them in. Took almost 12 hours.

So what’s the upgrade? I took the handle off the solo and turned the nut (14mm) with my Milwaukee cordless drill. Used up three batteries. It really flings it and saves the shoulder the big batteries that came with the impact wrench worked good.

Neat idea if you are doing a lot of broadcasting with it. I use a 3pt for most fields and the solo for small ones or if I want more precision than the 3pt can offer.

Thanks,

Jack

My plots are all small and I do a lot of my spreading with the Solo. I love the idea and will give it a whirl. Thanks!

Now that’s a good friggin idea!

And to think I walk around cranking a handle....

Me and my dad done 1100 pounds last year by hand with a 5 gallon bucket a piece, it was a workout lol. We went and bought a 3 pt. spreader this year.

I was thinking about doing just that same thing, but with a dedicated motor/ rechargeable battery. its on the rainy day, nothing else to do list.
A few years back I bought an action back seeder. It is a 5-gallon bucket with a cone bottom with a little 9V battery to turn the spreader. Its actually not a bad spreader for turnip and clover. The frame and straps are very good. It might make a good base for a robust modern cordless drill power pack.