Soil Sampling

Corey Peterson

5 year old buck +
Can anybody recommend a good place to get soil sampling done? I've been using the local university system thus far, but it seems like there are other companies out there that provide a more in depth analysis, and additional recommendations based on the results.

I can throw out a couple but they are a long ways from you and probably other locations close by, but then again maybe not. Ward Labs in Kearney, NE and Midwest Labs in Omaha, NE both have websites. Excellent customer service by both.

I just sent out a soil sample for my oats and field pea plot, to BioLogic Labs in Memphis TN today. Should have the results back by next week I hope. I have used U Mass labs before.

Little bias, but I work at Dairyland Laboratory in Arcadia, wi. I would be running the minerals for the sample by ICP.

Cory, UVM and UMass are very good. Make sure they know what exactly you are growing them for. UVM does kits specifically for apples/ fruit, which are different than regular ag samples. I haven't used UMass' but I know the guy that runs their apple tree division, he's very good and I'm sure he works w/ their soil sciences dept. that does their analysis.

Perhaps you should also do a leaf analysis for more info, and compare the two. You can sometimes have a soil sample show ok levels of nutrients however the trees are not uptaking them efficiently. The leaf analysis will show this. Some take a while to uptake and a foliar application gives you quicker results. I guess it depends what your goals are and how much you want to put into it.