Small Urban Plot

Double Tap

Yearling... With promise
What's up guys, long time reader here..

We own a commercial building that has 3 acres of woods adjacent to it and roughly 150 acres of woods behind it.. We ended up clearing a large amount of callery pears that opened up a decent sized East to West gap in the timber. This is an urban spot that cannot be hunted, so I don't plan on spending much money. It just happened to work out this way and I think it would be cool to have our tenants see "wild deer" as they go about their business.

I'm looking for something cheap, does well on poor soil sites (acidic, clay) with roughly 6-8hrs of sun. Plot will be about 30ft wide by 100ft long, give or take.

In my opinion, buckwheat would be the easiest considering soil conditions. You could do that the first year to build up your soil, with plans of something else in the future.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

I'm guessing you're going to get a few people that suggest clover and rye. Cheap, relatively easy to establish, lasts a long time with just a few mowings a year.

Where are you located?

I'm located in GA. Forgot to add that...

I'm looking into a legume to help fix the nitrogen. But this is a high deer density area, I'm not sure what legume would do best under heavy grazing... Alfalfa seems appealing but I haven't heard much about it for wildlife food plots

Nothing less expensive in the long run than establishing perennial clover. Once established you can get close to 10 years from Durana with mowing the only maintenance.

Thanks,

Jack

Ended up buying a mixture of Buckwheat, Radishes, Rape & Peas. I sprayed the spot today with a hot 2,4D & Gly rate. Will finish clearing up the area in the next week or two and finally plant. I'm also going to apply roughly 40lbs of Gypsum and ~100lbs of lime. It's about 1/10th an acre overall