All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small plot planter.

Any success stories for 2015 on the walk behind planters? After 2 crappy years of me trying to broadcast, I think I'm going to buy the new Hoss walk behind seeder. I only want to afford to do about an acre and a half of corn per year and don't have the storage for a nice 2 row 3 point style. I called Hoss and they told me the new design is made for organic farmers who are trying to plant in a no till/ some trash condition. My soil tills up fairly nice so I'll just have the rocks to go around. I'll do a field test on it next year unless I change my mind by then.

On these small 1 acre or less plots, why are rows preferred so much over broadcasting? Control of depth at planting? More light to overseed w/ other crops? Just curious as I've had great luck broadcasting the past few years. Incredibly simple and inexpensive.
I prefer broadcasting. You can still create rows with a disc or tines and broadcast in to them.

One problem I think I had this year was depth control. I have stalks that are 2 feet tall and some that are 8" tall. Maybe some soils at just better then others for broadcasting. Where I am, I think I need 80 day corn which runs $170-$200 per bag plus the fertilizer. If a nice push row planter actually works for depth control and packing the soil I don't mind spending a few hours rowing it IF the final product is better for me. It's too expensive to keep screwing it up. Plus I have a few new food plot techniques I would like to experiment with in rows. Here's a pic of my efforts this year to date. It actually would have been double this if the black birds didn't pull out a lot of the sprouts and ate them. Originally, I thought they completely cleaned me out.
image.jpg

I have been thinking about using two of the Hoss seeders rigged up behind by small 23 HP tractor, but I'm worried I would be wasting my money. I look forward to seeing how it works for you.

I did about about a 1/4 acre with one this spring and wouldn't want to do much more than a half acre with one. My wheeler broke when working up the soil, so I had a few areas that didn't loosen up or had a lot of debris. The planter worked terrible in these areas and I found myself having to lift the back of the planter every couple of feet to clear buildup debris. With that said, I didn't expect much and it turned out much better than I anticipated. This is the only photo I think I have of it.

I did about about a 1/4 acre with one this spring and wouldn't want to do much more than a half acre with one. My wheeler broke when working up the soil, so I had a few areas that didn't loosen up or had a lot of debris. The planter worked terrible in these areas and I found myself having to lift the back of the planter every couple of feet to clear buildup debris. With that said, I didn't expect much and it turned out much better than I anticipated. This is the only photo I think I have of it.
Which planter did you use? The new hoss, older style hoss seeder, earthway, other? Nice corn small chunk!

This was an earthway