SLN trees arrived

I got an email notice and just emailed them back to request tracking. Connor provided that no problem.

Just a quick PSA for those considering SLN trees.

If you want a quick growing, fast producing tree, don't buy from SLN. They are full sized trees. You should be thinking long term w/ these trees. 20-50 years down the road. I've got a handful of trees that were planted in 2016. All of those are producing and they look similar to other rootstocks planted that same year from different nurseries. B118 and P18 specifically. The antonovka roots won't have a bunch of fine roots to them when you receive them. You'll just have to get over that part. It's just not what they are. If you want a bunch of fine roots, order something on B118 from a number of sources. I have a bunch of both at our places. They both have grown and produced fruit so far. Nothing is more than 10 years old.

I have ordered from SLN 3 or 4 times because they've had varieties I've wanted. It's a marathon w/ full sized rootstock, not a sprint.

My fastest growers have been Whitetail Crabs trees. Slowest SLN. In 5-6 years you won't be able to tell a difference.

I got an email notice and just emailed them back to request tracking. Connor provided that no problem.
I sent them an email asking why I wasn't provided with a shipping notice. Haven't heard back yet.

I have about 15 assorted trees I put in in the spring of 2020. They are still MUY PEQUENO.

I have them caged and haven't even gotten to where it's worth really pruning them back yet. Frustrating.

But most are still alive, so, i remain committed to them.

I have about 15 assorted trees I put in in the spring of 2020. They are still MUY PEQUENO.

I have them caged and haven't even gotten to where it's worth really pruning them back yet. Frustrating.

But most are still alive, so, i remain committed to them.
I've got one from 2020 that is still not above the 5' cage. But it started out about 1'. I planted 3 that year from SLN. They were all pretty small to start with. The other two are probably 7' now. I'm not worried about them.

I haven’t bought from them in a few years, but as said above, they are always off to a slow start. My trees are now doing ok.

I wish they would use dolgo seedlings for rootstock, especially for wildlife trees that might tend to get less care than trees in an orchard. I feel dolgo seedling rootstock tends to give a quicker start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll pile on and say I’m not overly impressed with anything I’ve gotten from them and I’m sure it’s the anty rootstock. Tried some bench grafts with it last year and trees of the same variety are smaller compared to dolgo and MM111. This is all a marathon and not a race, so I’ll continue to mix a few in. Nothing is going to start bearing heavy before 6+ years anyway (with some crabs the exception). I’d like to try some P18 for fun, seems more difficult to find.

Disappointing tree stock again from SLN this year. Bought 3 Winter Wildlife & 2 Golden Russet. This is what the seedling and root area looked like.

I bought 3 Kerr & 3 Chesnut crabs from them 3 years ago and they looked the same size as below. Going into year 4, they are between 3.5' - 5' tall. Slow growers and very spindly.

At $29 per tree, very disappointing. Doubt i will buy from them again.View attachment 42434
We sell Kerr and Chestnut crabapples....... we do not publicly criticize other business', but I can tell you are trees look WAY BETTER than that.

I've got one from 2020 that is still not above the 5' cage. But it started out about 1'. I planted 3 that year from SLN. They were all pretty small to start with. The other two are probably 7' now. I'm not worried about them.
Its spring. Hope springs eternal for all things deer, habitat, and Cleveland Baseball...

We sell Kerr and Chestnut crabapples....... we do not publicly criticize other business', but I can tell you are trees look WAY BETTER than that.

My brother bought trees from you and another very popular nursery this spring. He has a broken ankle so they had to pot them; so they were all sitting on his back deck. Sitting side by side, the whips he got from you were significantly more impressive than from the other nursery.

Hardiness 3A is challenge, not an impossibility. SLN is about an hour away from my hunting camp. So, I figured their wild apples rootstocks might be ok.

not sounding like ill be repeat customer. The person I split the order with won't be a diligent and detailed in planting / care as I will likely be.

Mr. Turkey creek,

You have any bareroots left over for this year? I am leaning towards staying at my current house vs moving to a new location. House is hardiness zone 5A, heavier clay, and have cedar rust issues in the area. Area I plant is for bow hunting and fruit is primarily for wildlife. One area I am interested in planting has shale outcrop nearby, so roots may not be too deep.

Hardiness 3A is challenge, not an impossibility. SLN is about an hour away from my hunting camp. So, I figured their wild apples rootstocks might be ok.

not sounding like ill be repeat customer. The person I split the order with won't be a diligent and detailed in planting / care as I will likely be.

Mr. Turkey creek,

You have any bareroots left over for this year? I am leaning towards staying at my current house vs moving to a new location. House is hardiness zone 5A, heavier clay, and have cedar rust issues in the area. Area I plant is for bow hunting and fruit is primarily for wildlife. One area I am interested in planting has shale outcrop nearby, so roots may not be too deep.
We are sold out for this spring. I would check out the website (turkeycreektrees.com) and add your name on the email list when the email pop up box appears. That way you will get notification in late September when we begin selling this summers crop of trees. I am sure we can set you up for trees.

We are sold out for this spring. I would check out the website (turkeycreektrees.com) and add your name on the email list when the email pop up box appears. That way you will get notification in late September when we begin selling this summers crop of trees. I am sure we can set you up for trees.

I found Chris and Turkey creek 3 years ago from this site. Wish I had found them sooner. Root systems are amazing! Highly recommend them to everyone.

Winter Wildlife planted a few weeks ago budding out.

77482da4c30b9e544eb8d07d2a675425.jpg

That enugh cage? Also, you threw some fertilizer ontop?

I got very heavy clay, so I dug up the hole and mixed in some peat, gaden soil, frtilizer and lime and a couple of agriform tablets.. The old orchard where I'm planting them had hilled up rows, took a shovel and dip in the shovel to make a drainage line. Sometimes the looser soil makes a water bucket, which is bad.

I Bought a 1000 of 10gr about 5 years ago. A few crumbles, but most held good in my basement. Maybe got 50 or so left. Sure can tell where the seedling was if the tree died. Got a mean thick weed right on the spot. They're about $70 for a box now. Hunted around and got them for $45 shipped back then......

I know SLN has caught a Lot of flak around here but my trees from this year arrived in good health and have put a foot or better on in height this year. I’ve no complaints.

My 2016 trees look great. Loaded with apples. Will post pics later.

I've been a customer of SLN since spring 2013. The trees sold by the previous owner were bigger (4 to 5 ft. tall at shipping) than those sold in the last few years by the NEW owner - Connor Hardiman. I haven't bought trees from SLN in 3 years. I see the smaller trees shown on here by others that came from SLN recently. I think Connor was trying to catch up with the grafting let-down after SLN changed hands. I can tell you gents something about Antonovka rootstocks ........ they aren't fine roots with lots of "hairy" stuff. They look more like small carrots when you get them. Don't let the look of the roots scare you. Ours took 3 years to "kick in" on growth, but they WILL take off big-time .......... unless you have bad soil, maybe. Our SLN trees are the biggest ones by growth we have at camp. The oldest ones are now 9 years planted, and range from 16 ft. tall to about 20 ft. tall.

The first ones to fruit were the All-Winter-Hangover crab and the Winter Wildlife crabs. The Winter Wildlife crabs have been the fastest growers and fastest fruiting crabs we have. We also have several other varieties of apple trees from SLN that have grown VERY well for us. Wolf River, Prairie Spy, "Bonkers", Goldrush, & Chestnut crab are all big trees now. I don't know if SLN still grafts all those varieties like the MacKentley family did. We have no complaints about SLN trees - all have done well at our place.

Turkey Creek trees has a very good reputation on here. I wanted to order trees from him several years ago - but he was sold out of the varieties I wanted at the time. All the posts on Turkey Creek trees have been good since he started his nursery.